Problems after a BIOS conflict

A_Fry

Hello,
I've got a problem with my PC and I was hoping I could get some help/advice. A couple of weeks ago my PC developed a serious error, it was crashing, BSODing and had vertical red line artifacts across the screen. I emailed the technical support guys and was told it was a graphics card issue and my nVidia 8800GTX would need replacing. I replaced it with an ATI 4550, making sure to uninstall all nvidia drivers before hand, and the artifacts went and everything seemed alright.

However, my PC started crashing and BSODing again. When booted up in safe mode the action center on windows 7 told me that it detected a conflict in the BIOS and an update should be performed. I followed the instructions from the ASUS manual and website and followed the instructions to the letter for a BIOS flash update but now my PC won't work. The case still turns on, all the lights on the case and DVD drives light up and you can hear the fans working but nothing else happens.

So there anything I can do to resolve this issue or am I stuck with a rather large paperweight?

Many thanks in advance.

steveuk87

Super Star
try removing the ram chips and reseating them one by one again.

also pull the plug for 5 mins mins so no power get to the machine see if that works...

failing this, take the battery out of the bios board and leave out for 30 secs see if they work

Steve

Meds

Quick reply that Steve!

Following through Steves suggestions is well worth a go, as long as you are confident doing it. If you need any help/advice in carrying out any of the above suggestions, it would be best to talk to a member of our Technical Support Team whilst you are with your PC - we are open Saturday mornings so if you can't call through the week, just call tomorrow. They will talk you through a number of procedures to get you up and running again, you can get hold of them on 0844 499 4000.

steveuk87

Super Star
cheers Meds :)

A_Fry did you get the PC from PCS? it may well be worth giving them a call because they know what they are talking about and are actually very nice people, unlike some tech companies i have had to speak to in the past where they talk down to you :/

Steve

A_Fry

Wow, thanks for the fast replies chaps!
@Steveuk87, I did get my PC from PCS, got it in 2007 and this has been the only serious problem I've had with it! When you say "removing the ram chips and reseating them one by one again" do you mean take them out and put the back in the orginal DIMM or in a different one? I'm confident at removing the ram but the bios board battery may be a completely different issue.

@Meds, thanks for the tip. I'll call if I get stuck further.

Gorman

Author Level
I agree with meds here, i do believe the word "bricked" would be appropriate. It sounds as if the BIOS update went bad and it is now corrupt and or wiped. There are ways out of this but none of them easy. Give us a call as soon as possible and post the model of your mainboard please.

Zeplini

^ sort of agree it does sound like the board is now dead, i would try 1 stick of ram only and remove the battery and then leave the system unplugged for 10mins then return the battery and power up, if it does the same then try with different stick of ram and if it still does the same then it is dead im afraid

PaulH

Bright Spark
Dependant on the board, you may have a dual bios, hope you have, going to have to remove the CMOS battery and hope for the best - give us a call on 0844 499 4000 and we should be able to get you sorted one way or another!

A_Fry

Hey, just an update on my PC since I last posted, I removed and replaced the CMOS battery and my PC now works again, although I'm not getting my hopes up to much in case it BSODs again!

Also, this is probably the wrong forum page but I'm still looking to replace my broken nvidia 8800GTX for between £100-150. So far the two I think are most appropriate are the GTX 260 and the ATI 5770. Has anyone got any other suggestions? Of course this could be a mute point if my PC is fatally flawed and a new one is in order!

Thanks in advance!

GazzaScotland

Bronze Level Poster
If you can push a little over your £150 for the graphics card have a look at the GTX 460. The 1GB is around £175-180.

Meds

I would definately go for a GTX460 if you can. Better performance, DX11 support etc for a fraction more than a GTX260.