Problems with my PC, please help!

FacetiousPizza

Silver Level Poster
Hello all.
I am currently experiencing problems with my PC and would rather not RMA it again, as every time I have done this PCS have sent it back saying they could not find a problem. Therefore I am hoping some of you kind forum folk could assist me in diagnosing and replacing the necessary parts to fix my PC.

Problem 1:
A possible faulty power supply is causing my PC to randomly shut down. Since installing the latest drivers from ASUS, occasionly when the PC randomly powers off and reboots I get a message from American Megatrends saying the computer shut down due to a power surge, likely caused by a faulty power supply. As a result I am currently using the PC as little as possible until I can narrow down what parts need replaced, if any.

Problem 2:
As mentioned my computer will randomly power off from time to time, regardless of wether it is idle, surfing the web or gaming. Once powered off, either of 2 things will happen;
1. The PC will immediately power back on and start up as normal
2. The PC will attempt to power on again, but will power off after a few seconds without managing any POST beeps. Generally the only way to get the PC functioning again is to reseat most of the components, and sometimes resetting the CMOS as directed in the ASUS manual.

Problem 3:
When I shut down the PC, Windows succesfully shuts down however the power remains on with all fans and LEDS continuing operation. This continues until I am forced to turn the PC off by holding down the power button on the case. Is this an issue with the motherboard, power supply or processor?

Obviously I am in need of a new PSU, however I would like to know if there is also a problem with any of the other pieces of hardware that could be causing these problems. Thank you in advance for any help. PC spec below;

Intel i7-2600k
ASUS P8P67 Pro
8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 1.5GB GTX580
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
2 x 1TB Western Digital HDD
Corsair HX1000 PSU

steaky360

It does seem as if all the problems you have described could be caused by a faulty PSU, it's a bit odd PCS didn't find anything wrong when they had the rig with an RMA but you could always contact corsair directly to see what their opinions are. You might be able to get a replacement from them.

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
Sounds stupid but there are no molex or outlet plugs touching any sides of the case because that will shut down a pc because there would be a spike in the current, I'm only asking as iv seen it happen before

PaulH

Bright Spark
Still overclocked?, you haven't mentioned that but I presume fro your order you still are?

FacetiousPizza

Silver Level Poster
Sounds stupid but there are no molex or outlet plugs touching any sides of the case because that will shut down a pc because there would be a spike in the current, I'm only asking as iv seen it happen before

None that I can see, I just recently took it all apart and put it back together just to check.

Still overclocked?, you haven't mentioned that but I presume fro your order you still are?

No, I removed the overclock as I thought that was the reason it may be randomly shutting down. Hasnt solved anything though :(
On a side note, I have removed the sound card and now the PC actually powers off on shut down. I removed it because it must have taken a knock in transit and doesnt sit perfectly in the motherboard when screwed to the case. Would a £850W PSU (Corsair HX Series) be enough for my system?

steaky360

If the PSU is faulty it seems a bit silly to purchase a new one to remedy the problem when it is still under warranty. If the PSU is not faulty then getting a new one won't help. I would either get back in touch with PCS or corsair directly if I'm honest and get to the bottom of it.

FacetiousPizza

Silver Level Poster
If the PSU is faulty it seems a bit silly to purchase a new one to remedy the problem when it is still under warranty. If the PSU is not faulty then getting a new one won't help. I would either get back in touch with PCS or corsair directly if I'm honest and get to the bottom of it.

Completely forgot about the manufacturers warranty, I just thought that wouldnt be possible because my PCS warranty had expired. Still, I would rather not pay the price to RMA the whole PC again, money is a bit tight after Christmas.... Is there any way to test if a PSU is faulty?