Processor temps

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Hi all, i am on an Optimus II with the I7-2630qm processor. When it was new about 3 months ago the temps were:
Idle=35 deg c
Gaming=80-85deg c.

Over the past couple of days the temps have been:
Idle 27 deg c
Gaming=90-95 deg c

I have the laptop sitting on a notebook cooler and have cleaned the fan and heatsink vanes but the temp has stayed at this level.
Does anybody have any ideas as to such a change in temps, i am confused because on idle it has dropped by 8 deg c but gaming has increased.

Thanks

Corfate

Author Level
There may be dust inside the GPU causing the heat to build up? Thats one theory.. Nothing you can really do about it if thats the case.. Room temperature also plays a part.. If the pc is sucking in hot air, the cooling will be affected.

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Yeah, same game and the laptop is in the same position, nothing has changed apart from the cpu temps. The gpu temps are still the same reaching around 65deg c while gaming.

Corfate

Author Level
Yeah, same game and the laptop is in the same position, nothing has changed apart from the cpu temps. The gpu temps are still the same reaching around 65deg c while gaming.

You said they were at 90c when gaming in your first post?

Gorman

Author Level
Dust can and will accumulate in the heatsink fins within the laptop, this can effect the laptops ability to get rid of heat. if you are unsure on how to clean this out then feel free to give our guys a call on 0844 499 4000.

AndyL

I would expect idle temps to be slightly cooler this time of year due to the lower ambient temperature (winter).

As for the load temps, they are probably increased due to dust build up as previously mentioned by others

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
if anything id say it would be higher this time of year, my house is baking most of the time with heating on

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Hi, i doubt it is dust in the heatsink. I have had the panel off the back of the laptop and blown air through the heatsink fins out of the laptop. Will try a couple of test and let you know the results.