Processors

Sime83

Hello, I'm not the most technical on these matters, but I was wondering - in general is an AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T faster than an AMD PHENOM II X4 965?

Only reason I ask is because although one has 2x more cores, it says it's 2.80ghz whereas the other only 4x cores but says it's 3.4 ghz.

Can someone explain about speeds in terms of general usage?
many thanks,
Simon

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The clockspeed of the 965 is faster which is more beneficial for games which are only able to make use of 2-4 cores however when using multi-threaded applications (like photoshop CS5 for example) the extra cores are more beneficial so it depends what you want do with the computer.

Sime83

I see, so if you use a program that only uses 4 cores that's fine. But if it makes use of 6 cores and your processor only has 4 it will reach its limit quicker.

Sime83

Got it - thanks. Because I dont have any programs which use 6x cores I would probably be better with a 4 core but something like a 3.4ghz rather than 2.8

Len

yeh but you can always overclock it then have 6x cores and the same clock speed for applications that can make use of 6 cores

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Yes a 965 would be the better choice then, I don't recommend overclocking because you can damage the CPU and you'll void the warranty on it.