Proposed new build

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Motherboard is nothing to do with the GPU. It's the CPU that's the issue. CPUs with more cores need more voltage to remain stable at a certain clock speed. More voltage = more heat. If you don't have adequate VRM capacity, the speed of the CPU will drop. If you don't have adequate cooling capacity, the speed of the CPU will drop.

Nothing will break so I'm sure you will be more than happy. It's just a bit of a waste as the performance will be hampered by the choices made. Nothing too dangerous though.

JerBod

Motherboard is nothing to do with the GPU. It's the CPU that's the issue. CPUs with more cores need more voltage to remain stable at a certain clock speed. More voltage = more heat. If you don't have adequate VRM capacity, the speed of the CPU will drop. If you don't have adequate cooling capacity, the speed of the CPU will drop.

Nothing will break so I'm sure you will be more than happy. It's just a bit of a waste as the performance will be hampered by the choices made. Nothing too dangerous though.
That's very good news - I currently run a program that temporarily reduces the CPU frequency if my FX-4300 exceeds about 68C - the idea being that a cool component is likely to be a long-lived component.

D

Deleted member 17413

That's very good news - I currently run a program that temporarily reduces the CPU frequency if my FX-4300 exceeds about 68C - the idea being that a cool component is likely to be a long-lived component.

Or you could just spec if right in the first place and actually have the full potential of a build available to yoiu, rather than deliberately handicapping it. Put a suitable chip on a suitable board and listen to people who genuinely know this stuff... even the Mods are trying to steer you away from what youre trying to do.

Your money... if you want to buy something thats already flawed before you even get it, thats your business.

JerBod

The box arrived today.
I installed a Linux distro (LMDE4) with a kernel released in early 2020 and booted a USB - straight into a working 5800X on a B550 board (and a basic passively cooled GPU).
I did backport a modern kernel, but it made no apparent difference.

All in all, a very fast quiet machine - although it has suffered any major stresses yet.

The only thing is it insists on showing a choice of "Windows" on the bottom of the boot menu.
I can't find anyway to remove it from the BIOS - I've run efibootmgr to remove it from the UEFI, but it seems to be stuck in the BIOS somewhere.