Proteus not detecting wireless after Windows install

Cricky

Enthusiast
Hi,

The M.2 drive on my Proteus failed last week. I ordered a new M.2 drive which arrived today and was able to replace the drives with no problems and install Windows 10 from a USB drive.

It asked me to insert an ethernet cable as part of the install process which I did but it didn't pick up anything. The ethernet port must not be working, though when this happened I don't know as I don't believe I have ever used it in the year I've had the laptop. I think I may have tried to use it once and it didn't work but I assumed it was an issue with the cable I was using. I've never had any issues with wireless on the laptop. So I skipped that step and let Windows finish installing assuming I could do that part via Wi-Fi, however once I was in Windows it couldn't detect any wireless network card.

I downloaded the wireless drivers from the download section on my PCS account on another PC then copied them across to the laptop. The wireless drivers appeared to install however I still can't detect any Wi-Fi card.

This is the what is listed for my laptop in the spec.

Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0

Has anyone encountered something like this before? I'm hoping the network card hasn't failed too and that I'm just missing something. Though I would have thought Windows would have installed basic wireless drivers as I'm sure that's what I've seen in the past when installing Windows.

Cheers,

Chris...

Bhuna50

Author Level
Sorry but a quick obvious question first. Have you checked that you didn’t dislodge the WiFi card when you put in the new drive or that turning laptop upside down, undoing it etc has shaken it loose slightly. If you can just go in and reseat all items and check for loose cables etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cricky

Enthusiast
I did have a look in case that was the cause and I couldn't see anything that looked like it had come loose. Though I'm not totally sure where the network card is. I had assumed it was the board the ethernet port was on.

Attachments

• laptop03.jpg
    laptop03.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 126
  • laptop04.jpg
    laptop04.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 149

Cricky

Enthusiast
Thanks for that. I wouldn't have realised. :)

I checked it and it was securely in place and the screw was tight. One of the antennae wires seemed slightly loose. I pushed it down and it clicked into place like the other one.

Cricky

Enthusiast
No joy. :( Though if that had been the issue would it automatically detect the card now or would I need to do a repair/reinstall of Windows?

Cricky

Enthusiast
Some more info. When I was on the phone with PCS Tech Support about the M.2 issue on Saturday they had me remove the battery then after testing that, the M.2 drive. Could something have been dislodged that removed the power from the wireless card, but didn't affect anything else? I can't see anything that's obviously loose if there is.

Secondly, I'm seeing an 'Other Devices' section in the Device Manager with several devices listed with no drivers. Could one of these be the wireless card?

Attachments

• Laptopscreen.jpg
    Laptopscreen.jpg
    766.4 KB · Views: 138

Cricky

Enthusiast
The only way to configure it is to plug into internet.

Do you not have access to the router?

How are you currently connecting to internet?
That's the main problem. When I connect an ethernet cable to my laptop it doesn't detect it. I just get a message saying 'A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken'. The cable is plugged into the router. I know the cable works as it's the one connected to my homeplugs which are working fine.

I'm currently connected on another computer. I've been copying across the drivers via a USB stick.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's the main problem. When I connect an ethernet cable to my laptop it doesn't detect it. I just get a message saying 'A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken'. The cable is plugged into the router. I know the cable works as it's the one connected to my homeplugs which are working fine.

I'm currently connected on another computer. I've been copying across the drivers via a USB stick.
Sorry, I’m just catching up with all this. Ok so main thing is you do have a source to download drivers.

So we need the latest chipset drivers.

What are your full specs? I don’t see them listed?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it was me, I'd use the chipset drivers in the PCS account to, hopefully, solve the internet issues (fingers crossed it solves both wired and Wi-Fi)...then run Windows Update till no more updates and, if those Unknown devices are stills howing, then use one of the tools I linked earlier 9depending on which chip it is).

You can manually find the chipset for your CPU via either of those links I posted
I wouldn't personally, they're well out of date.

They're freely available from Intel / AMD

Cricky

Enthusiast
Sorry, I’m just catching up with all this. Ok so main thing is you do have a source to download drivers.

So we need the latest chipset drivers.

What are your full specs? I don’t see them listed?
Chassis & Display
Proteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x Proteus Series 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Proteus VII Series Integrated Lithium Ion Battery, 47WH
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C PORT AS STANDARD

I downloaded all of the drivers on my account on PCS (apart from the VGA drivers which failed to download) on another PC then transferred across to the laptop. I've installed them but there are still 3 devices listed in 'Other Devices' without drivers. One of which is Network Controller.