Proteus VI versus Vortex IX

Pullaggro

Hi,

Recently I purchased a Proteus VI, but i've had to send it back because the right click mouse button wouldn't work properly as well as the battery life being only an hour. At the moment it is sent in for a refund as i've found the same spec cheaper elsewhere, but i'm considering exchanging this to a Vortex IX as i've had good services with PCS in the past so would like to keep the business with them. I was looking at the Vortex IX as a potential exchange given I had issues with the Proteus and was wondering which would be the better spec?
Both are essentially identical and very similar price, only difference is the Proteus has a RTX2070 vs the Vortex with a RTX2060, however the vortex does have Gsync. I don't know much about Gsync, all I know is the RTX2070 is a fairly significant amount better than the 2060 so was wondering if the Vortex would be the better option or not given the issues with the design of the Proteus as well as the battery. Also the Vortex does have an 9th Gen CPU as well, but i've read that isn't all that much better than the 8th gen.

The spec that I bought for the Proteus was this: £1488
Chassis & DisplayProteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor1 x Proteus Series 230W AC Adaptor
BatteryProteus V Series Lithium Ion Battery (7180mAh)
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal PasteCOOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound CardIntel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C PORT AS STANDARD
Keyboard LanguagePROTEUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

The Vortex build is the following: £1517

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Total War: Three Kingdoms & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Battery
Vortex IX Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
MULTI COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD

Thanks for any comments.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What are you using the laptop for? Could you get closer to affording the 2070 is you dropped the RAM to 16gb and the SSD to the SX6000?

Pullaggro

I use multiple applications because I do financial trading so it's common for me to have 7-8+ programs running but all not very intensive, like onenote, a screenshotting software, dual screening chrome etc.
In terms of gaming, I basically only play League of Legends atm, but i'm buying this ahead of Borderlands 3 which is something i'd like to run on high settings. I'd likely venture out into other games if I had a high end laptop.

I figure I need the 32gb ram given how I mentioned running many programs at a time. And a cheaper SSD wouldn't bring price down a lot so I feel like i'm pegged to picking one or the other of the two specs i've posted?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Tbh that doesn't remotely sound like you need 32gb RAM.

Dropping the RAM and SSD pays for most of an upgrade to an RTX 2070.

So that's probably what I'd recommend.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
How much RAM do you have on the PC you're using now, and how much of that RAM are you actually using?

via Tapatalk

Pullaggro

I have 16gb on my current set-up and when playing league with all the other applications running in the background it gets towards the 14gb level i've seen every now and then. Not always but I have noticed it get that high before so I figured 32gb ram would be on the safe side.