PROTEUS VIII - CPU fan stays always on

a55mage

Hi, i just received my new Proteus VIII and I noticed that when in idle or doing light work, the CPU temp is very low, usually below 30°c.
CPU fan is always spinning at no less than 2200 RPM and it's quite annoying having it making noise even when typing in word.
Is there a recommended software for this model for tuning the CPU fan and possibly edit speed curves ?

Chassis and display
Proteus Series: Widescreen LED 144 Hz 72% NTSC opaco full HD 15,6" (1920 x 1080)
CPU
Processore Intel® Core™ i7 10875H 8 core (2.3 GHz, 5.1 GHz Turbo)
RAM
DDR4 SODIMM Corsair 2666 MHz 16 GB (2 da 8 GB)
GPU
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 – RAM video 6,0 GB GDDR6 – DirectX® 12.1

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hi, i just received my new Proteus VIII and I noticed that when in idle or doing light work, the CPU temp is very low, usually below 30°c.
CPU fan is always spinning at no less than 2200 RPM and it's quite annoying having it making noise even when typing in word.
Is there a recommended software for this model for tuning the CPU fan and possibly edit speed curves ?

Chassis and display
Proteus Series: Widescreen LED 144 Hz 72% NTSC opaco full HD 15,6" (1920 x 1080)
CPU
Processore Intel® Core™ i7 10875H 8 core (2.3 GHz, 5.1 GHz Turbo)
RAM
DDR4 SODIMM Corsair 2666 MHz 16 GB (2 da 8 GB)
GPU
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 – RAM video 6,0 GB GDDR6 – DirectX® 12.1
Did you order your laptop with windows already or not? If yes, it should have come pre-installed with some kind of gaming/control centre, just look for it.

I don't know for sure on the Proteus, but most (if not all) PCS laptops do have those type of software. If your fans are spinning fast all the time, you're very likely to be on the high-performance mode, that should not be used on a daily basis (would recommend only for benchmarking).

a55mage

Did you order your laptop with windows already or not? If yes, it should have come pre-installed with some kind of gaming/control centre, just look for it.

I don't know for sure on the Proteus, but most (if not all) PCS laptops do have those type of software. If your fans are spinning fast all the time, you're very likely to be on the high-performance mode, that should not be used on a daily basis (would recommend only for benchmarking).
I've installed windows 10 myself, and have already downloaded the control center from the support section of my model, but there is no option for fan speed, just the "system mode" where i can select "power saving mode" and achieve sub 2000 RPM.
immagine_2020-10-14_231419.png

FerrariVie

Super Star
I've installed windows 10 myself, and have already downloaded the control center from the support section of my model, but there is no option for fan speed, just the "system mode" where i can select "power saving mode" and achieve sub 2000 RPM.
View attachment 19063
Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Could you also take a screenshot of the "system mode" tab, so that we could see how it looks like?

You can always try to reach out to PCS to see if they have a newer version of the control center available, that might have more features. Tell them about your issue regarding the fans at idle, as they might have other ideas to help. If not, then you could try to look for third-party tools that could give you more control over the fans. I have a Nova chassis and I did find one software that works on it (Obsidian fan control), but that costs €30 and I think it only works on Clevo chassis (which is not your case)

a55mage

Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Could you also take a screenshot of the "system mode" tab, so that we could see how it looks like?

You can always try to reach out to PCS to see if they have a newer version of the control center available, that might have more features. Tell them about your issue regarding the fans at idle, as they might have other ideas to help. If not, then you could try to look for third-party tools that could give you more control over the fans. I have a Nova chassis and I did find one software that works on it (Obsidian fan control), but that costs €30 and I think it only works on Clevo chassis (which is not your case)
Here's the screenshot, it automatically switches to gaming when the power adapter is connected.
I've already tried with speedfan but there are no available options for tuning this model.
I'll look for some more
1602752189603.png

FerrariVie

Super Star
Here's the screenshot, it automatically switches to gaming when the power adapter is connected.
I've already tried with speedfan but there are no available options for tuning this model.
I'll look for some more
View attachment 19065
So you do have the different profiles. If you're not gaming, you should be using "text mode". I understand that the profile names are not great :ROFLMAO: , but that's what they're for:

1 - High performance = benchmarking, fans will be at max for all/most of the time and performance will also be tunned to max (maybe even overclock?)
2 - Gaming = that is going to try and keep your temperatures low to maintain performance in the long term, with no cuts to perfomance
3 - Text mode = Basically a quiet or light usage mode, where performance will be cut (undervolt and underclock), to keep system quiet.
4 - Power Saving = The is the one that should be activated automatically when you unplug the AC adapter. It will underclock and undervolt even more and you might few the system a bit slow, but that is to preserve battery.

a55mage

So you do have the different profiles. If you're not gaming, you should be using "text mode". I understand that the profile names are not great :ROFLMAO: , but that's what they're for:

1 - High performance = benchmarking, fans will be at max for all/most of the time and performance will also be tunned to max (maybe even overclock?)
2 - Gaming = that is going to try and keep your temperatures low to maintain performance in the long term, with no cuts to perfomance
3 - Text mode = Basically a quiet or light usage mode, where performance will be cut (undervolt and underclock), to keep system quiet.
4 - Power Saving = The is the one that should be activated automatically when you unplug the AC adapter. It will underclock and undervolt even more and you might few the system a bit slow, but that is to preserve battery.
I already know this, but none of these profiles is silent, and considering how high pitched the noise from the fan is, the bare minimum for this model would have been some level of fan tuning.
I've contacted the tech support, i'll post their answer as they respond

kelstu

Gold Level Poster
There is also a High Fan power button on the Proteus VIII on the top right hand of the keyboard.. try turning it off that way..

a55mage

There is also a High Fan power button on the Proteus VIII on the top right hand of the keyboard.. try turning it off that way..
if i press it the notebook starts flying...
I spoke to the the PCS tech assistance and they told me that only the control center may have these options, but the current version doesn't have the feature yet.
So yeah, i'll keep my headphones on and when i need complete silence i'll switch to my other laptop

kelstu

Gold Level Poster
My laptop is usually quietish with a slight squeal.. if i do something high powered it gets faster.. its never gone as loud as the "flying" button

Mine is never totally quiet

a55mage

that's exactly my problem, the high pitched noise that even the headphones can't fully cover.
I have no complaints over the temperatures or the fan being always on, it's just the sound that's annoying

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
that's exactly my problem, the high pitched noise that even the headphones can't fully cover.
I have no complaints over the temperatures or the fan being always on, it's just the sound that's annoying
If it’s that bad I’d raise it with PCS, it certainly shouldn’t be squealing.