PSU advice

MrWilson

Godlike
One of the things I encounter a lot when helping prospective customers spec builds is power requirement. I think this is partly due to PSU being a less ‘glamourous’ part compared to the CPU or GPU, and partly due to PCS’s configurator encouraging us to use as small a power supply as possible.

Recently Jay has been pumping out a few component breakdown guides and has recently posted a guide about PSUs that I think would benefit a lot of people trying to understand why we try and spec a build with a beefier PSU. It is quite long, but the most relevant parts (IMO) begin around the 11 minute mark.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is a really good video and I wholeheartedly agree with Jay on his views on this, I think most of us do on this forum.

The PSU is an incredibly important part of the build, it dictates the quality and stability of the power being delivered to each and every component in the build. It's always worth spending good bucks on a decent one.

Since I realised the TXm variant only has 1 PCIe output, I will now only recommend an RMx one unless it's a really entry level build at a seriously restricted budget.

My current PSU was bought in 2009, it's a 750W Corsair HX range, my friends were like "You don't need 750W to power whatever mid range GPU I had at the time", but that PSU is still being used 3 builds and 12 years later with a GTX 1080, it's absolutely bulletproof and such a good investment.

PSU you can carry from build to build, there's no need to swap it out on each build so long as it's decent quality.

Last edited: