PSU fan ramdonly runs at full speed non stop

ifeedcat

Hi ,

Every other 8-10 hours PSU fan starts to spin at full speed and won't stop at all unless I turn off PC for about 10 minutes.
I have bought this PC over a year ago , but it only started it using 4 days ago. It was sitting in original packaging.
I have installed corsair link to see if I can reduce max value on the fan , but the software doesn't see that fan at all.

Case AeroCool DS Cube Red Edition Window Mini-ITX
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT: Mini-ITX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - VGA, DVI, mHDMI - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card NONE
1st Hard Disk 120GB SAMSUNG 650 SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st PCI-E SSD Drive NONE
RAID NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling NOCTUA NH-L9i LOW PROFILE, SUPER QUIET CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting NONE
Extra Case Fans NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Firewire NONE
TV Card NONE
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser Google Chrome™
Monitor Samsung LS19E20KBW/EN 19" LED monitor
2nd Monitor NONE
Monitor Cables NONE
Eyefinity Adapter NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
Game Streaming NONE
Games Controller NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Cable Management NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Delivery PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I have installed corsair link to see if I can reduce max value on the fan , but the software doesn't see that fan at all.
Corsair Link wouldn't, since only certain models of PSU support it.

If you've had it for over a year, the PSU would be out of warranty from PCS, but Corsair may still cover the warranty. I would certainly raise a ticket with them. http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/support/warranty

With electronics and any other expensive purchase, I'd always strongly suggest testing it out thoroughly when it arrives in case any components are faulty. Obviously PCS test the system before shipping it, but issues can develop after or be caused during transit.

While life can intervene etc and make best practice hard, I'd still really suggest making sure you test things within the initial warranty period. Any replacement you get from Corsair would definitely be worth testing ASAP rather than leaving it for an extended period.

Other users on this forum may be tempted to make the point a little more strongly than I did there...

As a side note, while it may have been your plan to use the PC as soon as you bought it, if you ever do find yourself in a position where you want to purchase a system but won't make use of it for a while, it's almost always better to hold off on the purchase because one year later you'll usually be able to get something better for the same £.

Last edited:

ifeedcat

Corsair Link wouldn't, since only certain models of PSU support it.

If you've had it for over a year, the PSU would be out of warranty from PCS, but Corsair may still cover the warranty. I would certainly raise a ticket with them. http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/support/warranty

With electronics and any other expensive purchase, I'd always strongly suggest testing it out thoroughly when it arrives in case any components are faulty. Obviously PCS test the system before shipping it, but issues can develop after or be caused during transit.

While life can intervene etc and make best practice hard, I'd still really suggest making sure you test things within the initial warranty period. Any replacement you get from Corsair would definitely be worth testing ASAP rather than leaving it for an extended period.

Other users on this forum may be tempted to make the point a little more strongly than I did there...

As a side note, while it may have been your plan to use the PC as soon as you bought it, if you ever do find yourself in a position where you want to purchase a system but won't make use of it for a while, it's almost always better to hold off on the purchase because one year later you'll usually be able to get something better for the same £.

It was bought during Christmas sale , I had a discount card as well so I end paying less by about 30% then its normal cost.
I had a very old laptop which did the job , but it passed away couple of days ago.

ifeedcat

I have put the case sideways and its fine now , any idea why ?
Should I try to put PSU upside down inside the case?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's something that people do to adjust fan noise with that PSU model.

Personally I'd contact Corsair.

If the fan's making a noise it shouldn't and/or if it's spinning extremely fast it's probably a sign something's not quite right.

Sling23

Banned
Hi ifeedcat,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your PSU, although I can confirm that you are out of warranty with ourselves the PSU should still be covered by the manufacturer and we are more than happy to assist you with getting this resolved through them. If you wish for us to assist you with claiming through the manufacturer I would advise that you send us an email to [email protected] with your Serial Number (S/N) and if you can a short video/audio recording of the noise it is making we can then confirm these details with the Manufacturer for you and advise you on the best course of action. You can, of course, contact the Manufacturer directly if you wish.

Many Thanks

Sling23