PSU noise

Andy23

Hi guys, had my new PC about 5/6 weeks now and it's just started making a really strange noise. It has made a similar noise a few times before but it was a lot quieter and I assumed it was the fans, however this morning it's really loud. I took the side panel off and found it was coming from the power supply, a Corsair VS450. I restarted my computer a few times and all of a sudden it's stopped, I don't want to have to go through the hassle of returning it just yet as need it a lot this week, is this a common occurrence or something I should be concerned about? Cheers.

I've attached a video below where I turn the computer off at the end, just so you can hear the difference. It's usually so quiet you can barely tell it's running.

[video=youtube_share;-8qMmSHuL1o]https://youtu.be/-8qMmSHuL1o[/video]

Thanks in advance for any help.

jerpers

Master
I do remember a while ago there were some people with this issue. IIRC it turned out to be a loose piece of plastic that got caught up on the fans. Inverting the PSU fixed this for many.

jerpers

Master
The fan draws air into the PSU and then out of the back of it. If temps inside your case are extremely high (which I doubt) then there could potentially be a problem. You should be fine. If you are unsure, you can always arrange an RMA.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I'm a bit of a PC noob, but could that not cause overheating?

Depends where the vents are.

Assume you're looking at the case from the back, facing the fan on the PSU. If you were to rotate it clockwise 180 degrees AND the vents aren't on the bottom such that they'd now but blocked by the case you'd be fine.

But I'd be calling PCS anyway myself.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ideally the PSU would live face down so that the air it sucks in to cool itself is cooler from outside the case rather than warmer air coming off the GPU etc from inside the case. How much difference it would make in real terms to performance or longevity I'm not sure.

If there's enough slack in the cables you could flip the PSU over and see if it makes a difference.

If it's under warranty you could RMA it - PCS could send you out a new PSU for you to do the swap, rather than you have to send the whole system back.

jerpers

Master
If you have not done it before, it's a good idea to photograph which connector goes where to make it easier when putting the new one in. PCS have done for me an advanced RMA where they send out the new one and the courier takes the old one back straight away.

Andy23

Submitted an RMA to send the part out, I should be OK to keep using the computer until then though yes?

jerpers

Master
Should be fine. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to take the old one out before the new one is delivered.

Andy23

Wow I can't believe this, I received my new power supply last night through advanced RMA and installed it, and the new PSU has today begun making the same noise! :mad: I doubt my old PSU is even at PCS yet.

richard_pcs

Hello Andy23,

Thank you for letting us know. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing further issues with this power supply.

Can I ask whether this unit is flipped with the grills at the top?

If you are experiencing further issues after inverting this, please open a support query and we will be more than happy to get this rectified for you.

Andy23

Hello Andy23,

Thank you for letting us know. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing further issues with this power supply.

Can I ask whether this unit is flipped with the grills at the top?

If you are experiencing further issues after inverting this, please open a support query and we will be more than happy to get this rectified for you.

Hi Richard, I inverted the PSU yesterday (been too busy with work the past week) and all seems well so far. I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem and fix?