PSU tripping a circuit breaker.

khaos

Hi,

i have my suspicions that my psu is tripping our circuit breaker, is there any way to test this

thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think the only way to be sure it's the PC is to disconnect everything else and see whether the PC trips it on it's own. Are you sure the total current drain from all devices is not exceeding the circuit breaker's trip current? The current drawn by the PC will vary depending on what you're doing, so if that circuit is close to overloaded already (with lots of devices) it's possible that a slightly higher (but normal) current drain on the PC is enough to trip the breaker.

Get a competent electrician to check your setup.

steaky360

I second what ubuysa has suggested, I'd say its unlikely that your PSU would trip your house circuit breaker on its own. I know in my garage if I have my washing machine and tumble dryer on at the same time it can (and does) trip the circuit breaker for the garage but thats because they draw too much power. Individually they are fine. If for whatever reason your PSU is tripping your circuit breaker (when all other devices are switched off and unplugged) then something is wrong somewhere and should be checked out by a professional.

PokerFace

Banned
Hi,

i have my suspicions that my psu is tripping our circuit breaker, is there any way to test this

thanks

If you live in a house whereby the downstairs sockets are on a different circuit than the upstairs, you could try the pc in a different location and see if the breaker trips on the new circuit.

khaos

it seems it only trips when i plug the tower into a socket but then when i go and flip the breaker its fine and boots normally i used a meter to check the wattage that its drawing and even with 4 game clients open its only drawing around 150 Watts so i have no idea whats going on, it could be an earth leak or something i guess but apart from that im out of ideas

Last edited:

baron75mk2

Banned
150 amps ??? !!! , no wonder its tripping the breaker , are you sure you dont mean 150 watts ? - hope so , no computer should be drawing anywhere near 150 amps , even cookers dont draw that much in amps (50-80 amps) , your socket ring is on a 25 amp circuit , your lights are on a 15 amp circuit , so if its drawing 150 amps its going to trip out the breakers as they are desighned to trip on excessive current (amps) draw , if its drawing 150 amps i would be very concerned indeed .

Last edited:

khaos

150 amps ??? !!! , no wonder its tripping the breaker , are you sure you dont mean 150 watts ? - hope so , no computer should be drawing anywhere near 150 amps , even cookers dont draw that much in amps (50-80 amps) , your socket ring is on a 25 amp circuit , your lights are on a 15 amp circuit , so if its drawing 150 amps its going to trip out the breakers as they are desighned to trip on excessive current (amps) draw , if its drawing 150 amps i would be very concerned indeed .

yes watts >_> sorry its too early for me haha although there are 7 people believing in the house and the breaker is only rated at 100 Amps so we are gonna try adding everything up and seeing if we exceed it

baron75mk2

Banned
yes watts >_> sorry its too early for me haha although there are 7 people believing in the house and the breaker is only rated at 100 Amps so we are gonna try adding everything up and seeing if we exceed it

Yes most small houses like mine are 100amp main fuses (Cartrige in a black sealed box) , but in some larger homes & blocks of flats they can be higher,

But remember when your adding up all your appliences that they only draw what they need at full power , so unless your using them all at the same time & flat out as well the calculation is going to be inflated to the extreeme :eek: