pxe-e61

kaya_marks

i get this message on start up 'media faliure, check cable' or somethink like that and have noticed that my laptop has been really slow at starting programs, would this have something to do with the error message? i can still use the laptop just very slowly
many thanks

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
I've had this problem twice. Once I removed the harddrive and gave it a good old blow to get some dust out (It was like having my SNES back again!) the other time was a friends PC trying to boot from a network card instead of his HDD.

No idea if this will help you but hopefully it might

Meds

Hey,

This is just a setting in the BIOS, basically your PC is trying to boot from the LAN/Ethernet Port.

1. When you first turn your Laptop on there will be a screen with a few options, one will be to "enter setup" F2 maybe? Please do this.

2. In here, there should be a "boot menu", with a list of 3 or 4 devices.

3. Please set the HDD to number 1.

4. Press F10 (Save & Exit), the laptop will reboot and pxe-261 message should never show up again!

Sorry for the vague instructions, they are from memory as I don't have one of these models to hand so I can write exact instructions!

Gorman

Author Level
It is unlikely to affect performance, best to give us a call about that one tomorrow.