QHD 75Hz worth it?

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Hey guys :) So with my new PC I'm thinking of upgrading my monitors again. At the moment I have a 4K 60Hz 27" monitor as my main display and then my 24" 144Hz 1080p monitor as my secondary monitor - I only switch to this monitor when playing CSGO.

I'm thinking of upgrading either my 1080p 144Hz monitor to a QHD 75Hz monitor or downgrading my 4K 60Hz monitor to the QHD 75Hz monitor. Which would make more obvious sense in this case?

In addition to this, would it be worth getting the QHD 75Hz or saving up a bit extra to get the 144Hz version?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys :) So with my new PC I'm thinking of upgrading my monitors again. At the moment I have a 4K 60Hz 27" monitor as my main display and then my 24" 144Hz 1080p monitor as my secondary monitor - I only switch to this monitor when playing CSGO.

I'm thinking of upgrading either my 1080p 144Hz monitor to a QHD 75Hz monitor or downgrading my 4K 60Hz monitor to the QHD 75Hz monitor. Which would make more obvious sense in this case?

In addition to this, would it be worth getting the QHD 75Hz or saving up a bit extra to get the 144Hz version?
Why 75Hz? That will kind of waste the 2070 Super.

What's your budget for the new monitor?

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Why 75Hz? That will kind of waste the 2070 Super.

What's your budget for the new monitor?

I’d go for the 144Hz 1440p but it’s above my budget, so it’s either 75Hz 1440p or another 1080p 144Hz. Budget is around £250, can push to £300 if it’s worth the extra bit

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’d go for the 144Hz 1440p but it’s above my budget, so it’s either 75Hz 1440p or another 1080p 144Hz. Budget is around £250, can push to £300 if it’s worth the extra bit
You can easily do 144hz for that, one sec, I know of two decent 144hz monitors within budget...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is an Element Gaming one, it's 1440p 144Hz Freesync. EG are budget, but they've gotten extremely good reviews despite being so budget:

This one is Iiyama down from £300 to £269 who have been around for donkeys years and have a very good reputation. Why this one is so cheap I just don't know, it's a quality monitor, again 1440p 144Hz Freesync. This would undoubtedly be better build quality, if you can push the budget to it, I'd recommend it over the EG:

TomBerry

Bright Spark
This is an Element Gaming one, it's 1440p 144Hz Freesync. EG are budget, but they've gotten extremely good reviews despite being so budget:

This one is Iiyama down from £300 to £269 who have been around for donkeys years and have a very good reputation. Why this one is so cheap I just don't know, it's a quality monitor, again 1440p 144Hz Freesync. This would undoubtedly be better build quality, if you can push the budget to it, I'd recommend it over the EG:

Thanks for recommending these :) I'm only going to keep two monitors, I'm not pushing it to 3. Do you think I should swap it out for the 1080p 144Hz monitor or the 4K 60Hz monitor?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for recommending these :) I'm only going to keep two monitors, I'm not pushing it to 3. Do you think I should swap it out for the 1080p 144Hz monitor or the 4K 60Hz monitor?
If it were me, I’d get rid of the 1080p, reason being that 4k is still useful for media and the extra screen real estate in general windows usage.

Your GPU will smash CSGo at 1440p way over 144hz.

1080p 144hz is dead for anything other than extreme budget builds. It’s horrible in windows because only fits a tiny amount.

There’s competitive gaming at 1080p 240hz and that’s the only other time 1080p makes sense.

Im very anti 1080p, it’s just a debilitating resolution by todays

TomBerry

Bright Spark
If it were me, I’d get rid of the 1080p, reason being that 4k is still useful for media and the extra screen real estate in general windows usage.

1080p 144hz is dead for anything other than extreme budget builds. It’s horrible in windows because only fits a tiny amount.

There’s competitive gaming at 1080p 240hz and that’s the only other time 1080p makes sense.

Gone ahead and bought the EG 144Hz 1440p monitor, and is due on Monday. Thanks for the advice!

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Submitted a return the day I received it, absolutely appalling monitor :( can’t adjust the angle of it at all (instead of rotation) and the black angle is horrible!!!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster

I am of the same mind - 1080 is ok (and only ok) on a laptop but 1440 is the absolute minimum that is comfortable for working on, in my personal opinion - especially on larger screens. You just get so much more real estate to work on.

4k - I wasn't a huge fan of this. Again this is my personal preference and I can see for photo editing etc how it'd be a boon but (and I willingly admit it's been a while since I ran anything natively at 4k) I found Windows' capability to run even native applications properly was very very hit and miss.

One example would be MS's own RDP client - some days you'd connect to a remote session and the mouse cursor would be a one pixel dot, and/or the task bar would be one or two pixels high! Log off and back on a couple of times and it would sort itself out.

I ended up crippling the 4k screen I had on that laptop to run at 1080 because of it.

As I say, things have probably improved greatly since then, so your mileage may vary of course.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Definitely going to go for that one now :) hopefully for an adjustable stand and not a bad black angle[emoji23]
These are very low budget so expecting good angles on a TN panel is a bit unrealistic, you’d need IPS for that which would be more like £350

TomBerry

Bright Spark
These are very low budget so expecting good angles on a TN panel is a bit unrealistic, you’d need IPS for that which would be more like £350

Would you be able to link me to the exact ones you’re referring to? Got paid yesterday and work gave me an extra 1K bonus so could chip it up a bit[emoji23]

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@SpyderTracks Is there really much difference between the VA panel you linked to and the more expensive IPS panels (which I thought you were aiming towards given your earlier comment about IPS)? I really can't see much difference yet there is a over £100 difference
Mainly viewing angles. IPS is better visible from extreme angles (never understood why that was important on a monitor you’re sitting right in front of), and sometimes deeper blacks.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
It’s arrived today and it’s...beautiful[emoji50] 10x better than the EG one lmao

ee1e29cdf294f7f9d49a85785b19cfb8.jpg