Quality parts held together by flimsy pieces?

morowe

Bronze Level Poster
Hey,

Firstly I'd like to remind anyone reading this isn't an accusation, it is a question. My experience with PCS so far has been positive and the parts high quality.

I have had some memory issues; which were quickly resolved by returning the 8 sticks of memory. in order to get at one of the stick of memory the cpu heatsink fan needed to be removed. I am using a Titan Fenrir EVO cpu cooler which seems to be high quality and looks like a BEAST! the problem is when removing the fan from the radiator the clips felt flimsy, poorly connected and liable to snap or bend. This worries me because again I need to remove and refit it to install the new memory.

5676_85cs2_1.jpg
the part is shown above and you can see how the clips attaching the fan to heat sink/radiator.

Is there a reason its like this? I can understand them needing to be light and not absorb heat but these things feel VERY cheap and compared to the rest of the product very poorly engineered (especially for a part that actually seems to have an overall decent quality build)

Cheers for any replys!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Many different air coolers use similar clips I'm afraid, just depends what titan decide to use, some coolers have rubber pins, but these are also not ideal.

my cooler, the coolermaster v6gt has a case around the actual radiator, and has pretty good plastic clips to hold the fans on, so that's good, however, it has a naf mounting system.

V6%20GT_redlight.jpg

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
My cooler uses rubber pins, although they've never caused a problem, its quite worrying seeing as the fans are at the top and bottom, not left and right

Venom-Voodoo.jpg

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I find the akasa yellow pins are really good too, reviews of the spire cooler mentioned the rubber pins aint so good.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I find the akasa yellow pins are really good too, reviews of the spire cooler mentioned the rubber pins aint so good.

yeh in fairness they are pretty solid, im currently using them to hold the 20cm fan thats bigger and heavier in every way, on the side and thats working great

Any news on your second hand ones btw

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I asked Akasa if they are making a 200mm viper! hhha,

think we derailed the thread now, will pm ya bout the fans, two secs.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I asked Akasa if they are making a 200mm viper! hhha,

think we derailed the thread now, will pm ya bout the fans, two secs.

Back on topic

Im pretty sure that Titan would have done extensive testing to make sure that the fan will be secure

Corfate

Author Level
My Hyper 212 Plus uses metal clips like the Titan to mount the fans. They seem really sturdy when clipped into the fins and fans :)

morowe

Bronze Level Poster
yer in fairness they seemed flush and strong when actually clipped in but when you remove them they are such a huge flimsy pain in the ass.

Thanks for sharing the alternatives, it seems like its just how it is? ohh well. hopefully when i reinstall this ram i wont have to think about it again.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yea will be fine when ya get the new ram in, :)

the fan mounting system only tends to differ, when liquid coolers / watercooling radiators are used, as fans have to screw in to them.

Rakk

The Awesome
yer in fairness they seemed flush and strong when actually clipped in but when you remove them they are such a huge flimsy pain in the ass.
They are pretty strong when in place, I've got the slighter earlier version of the Titan Fenrir EVO, and well, my the fan has held on through getting delivered to me in the first place (without extra foam), me shuffling it about numerous times, me trying to get dust out of it without taking the fan off, me putting it in the back of my car to go to a LAN party and the road between the campsite and the venue had a lot of speed bumps and my cars suspension is shot so it wasnt a smooth trip by any stretch of the imagination :)