Query about antivirus software

theb52s

Silver Level Poster
Not sure whether I've posted this to the right place. My last build was back in 2011. At that time I purchased Norton antivirus software, which covered 3 machines. I was subsequently able to use that on av desktop my son ordered in 2014 and a laptop my daughter has just had built. I think at the time of the original purchase it was thought that protection would be more comprehensive than what was built into windows.
I'm probably about to order a new laptop so need to look at antivirus options for that.
I've read a couple of comments now suggesting that the built in windows defender is really good. I would be mainly using the laptop for gaming, watching things like Netflix, and some light browsing. Would I need to get any additional protection in your opinion?
In addition I pay a yearly subscription for the existing Norton protection. Is it worth continuing with this. My old desktop was upgraded to Windows 10 but my son heard preferred to keep Windows 7.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Windows Defender in Windows 10 is perfectly good enough. In addition to anti malware protection, Defender also provides several exploit protections so that malware that does get in can't exoit the common attack vectors. You can even enable controlled folder protection for security against ransomware.

The included firewall is equally good, controlling both inbound and outbound access.

There really is no need to pay for Internet security with Windows 10.

Via Tapatalk

stegor

Bright Spark
Your son preferring to keep Windows 7 is a bad move. Windows 7 is no longer supported and will soon have more holes than swiss cheese. I wouldn't connect it to the internet, but if you do, then don't share other devices with it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Your son preferring to keep Windows 7 is a bad move. Windows 7 is no longer supported and will soon have more holes than swiss cheese. I wouldn't connect it to the internet, but if you do, then don't share other devices with it.
Good point I missed that. Windows 7 won't be able to exploit the features of modern hardware, not to mention the lack of support for it now.

That's a big mistake. Huge.

Via Tapatalk

theb52s

Silver Level Poster
I told him so at the time but he was an adult and has OCD so is stubborn as hell about change. I've already advised him against not keeping any sensitive information on there.

theb52s

Silver Level Poster
Actually I'm just reading an article saying that you can still upgrade to windows 10 for free. Can anyone confirm that?

stegor

Bright Spark
These guys are usually pretty good. Note the bit about antivirus software.

theb52s

Silver Level Poster
My next job is persuading him to do it. I think he's a bit nervous of losing stuff. He does a lot of editing and the like and has a lot of software relating to that.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My next job is persuading him to do it. I think he's a bit nervous of losing stuff. He does a lot of editing and the like and has a lot of software relating to that.
Backup, backup, backup.

Get a copy of Macrium Reflect (free) and install it on the exiting PC (and the new one when you get it). Macrium Reflect takes images of your drives which it writes as a single file (usually) to an external drive. There's a bit of a learning curve with it but it's pretty intuitive.

Not only can you later restore these images to get exactly the system you had, but you can also mount an image you've taken as a virtual drive using Macrium Reflect, this allows you to access all the data in that image as though you have the original disk plugged in. Anything your son needs from his old system can just be copied out of the virtual drive. There's thus no danger of losing anything.

As far as third party software is concerned, you should ensure that you have the installation file for every application used, so that they can be reinstalled when necessary.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I told him so at the time but he was an adult and has OCD so is stubborn as hell about change. I've already advised him against not keeping any sensitive information on there.

If it's the look and feel, with a bit of work you can make Windows 10 look almost identical to Windows 7 with a little bit of work.

There are a couple of choices, but Open Shell (used to be called Classic Shell until a couple of years ago) will do it.

There are then various things you can do to get the rest of the shell close to Windows 7 such as the tips here: https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi, THEB52S,
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free back in April with the help of the mods (Scott, Spyder, UBUYSA) and Tony1044. Here is the link to my 6 page thread it maybe helpful.

Please tell your Son I was very apprehensive and resistant to change too but can confirm first hand it was such a good move I absolutely loved Windows 7 but Windows 10 is much better in my opinion and safer!! I only use Windows defender for security it is solid.
Best of luck.
Bob.

theb52s

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for all of your replies about this. I'll certainly not be bothering to buy any additional antivirus software for my new laptop and it looks like I will be able to save on the renewal of the existing Norton subscription.
I'll probably seek further advice when I get my son on board for the upgrade. It's good to know there's so much support available.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Along with Windows Defender, I would also get a malware/adware/spamware programme as an extra security measure....something like Malwarebytes (just click the link then click free download in the top right) is excellent...it helps to sweep up anything that Defender doesn't catch (not that much in my experience but handy as a second line of defence....just run it once a week or once a day..whatever you want to really)
Agreed. Just be VERY careful when you install another antimalware app to NOT agree to trail the full version. You cannot have two real-time antivirus engines active at the same time. Well you can, but it's likely to cause slowdowns and weird issues.

Having additional on-demand scanning apps (like Malwarebytes) is an excellent idea however.

Some products give you the option to trial the full version at install time (uncheck it if they do), whilst others install the trial of the full version whether you want it or not (Malwarebytes does so) and you have to go into the settings and turn the trial off. Malwartebytes in particular doesn't make this too easy to do.

Some products will deactivate Defender if you select (or default to) the trail of the full version, others don't and you're left with two real-time antivirus engines running and all the potential problems that can cause. Some don't reactivate Defender when you uninstall them either.

Keep your wits about you when installing/uninstalling additional antimalware products. Always carefully read and fully understand the install instructions and choices. After installation go into the product's settings and ensure that any trial of the full version is disabled.