Query:-laptop battery

paudav

Is it safe to use a laptop connected to the mains without the battery fitted for an extended period of time ?
Secondly is it better to store the battery charged or discharged if not fitting it to the comp
Does anybody do a in car charge
Are the chargers supplied by p.c.s. mains universal charging voltage, will they be safe for recharging in europe and america with the use of a plug adapter.
Also, does anybody do a solar powered charger
What size/type power connecter does a optimus2 15" use

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

1. I have not heard of any safety issues when using the laptop without the battery connected (plugged into the mains).

2. I assume you're thinking about the "exploding battery" issue that occurred a good few years back now, and was all over the news? We have never had any issues with our batteries and I don't think there is any benefit in storing batteries charged or uncharged.

3. We don't provide in-car chargers unfortunately. I'm sure most stores like Amazon or Ebuyer will stock compatible models.

4. Providing you convery the voltage from the UK 240V to the voltage requirements of the specific country, there should not be any issues.

5. We don't provide solar powered chargers, again check Amazon or Euyer.

6. The power connector is a Clover Leaf cable:

clover_leaf_cable.jpg

aleluc

Bronze Level Poster
Quick question PCS.

With regards to the power connectors for the mains cable.

Are they standard connectors. I see it is a clover leaf cable. I have owned a few laptops and after 3-4 years for each laptop, i find i have to replace the power brick and mains cable.

Will these parts be easy to get hold of for the Vortex 2 17 in say 2-5 years time? Are they a standard fit?

I had awful problems with a Toshiba one a few years ago. I was some sort of hexagon fit or something :/

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the laptops we have supplied in the past and all of the laptops we currently supply use a Clover Leaf cable. Our power adapters start and 65W, and go to 90W, 120W, 180W and 220W.

If your "power brick" was to fail in 5 years time, just give us a call and if we don't have stock we'll will try our best to source one for you. They're all pretty standard and most are made by FSP - 3rd largest power supply manufacturer globally, and also the supplier of our desktop power supplies.

paudav

power supply

Which/what plug/power point is actualy used on the laptop itself because i have an old gateway laptop purchased in the usa that had a universal charger ie 110/240v i was wonderring what fitting/ input plugis used on the actual laptop case/motherboard

thx for the other info

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The actual connector to the laptop is most likely to be specific to each model. Some have larger diameters, and therefore we recommend you use the one we supply.