Question about LED lighting

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys!

No daft "how to" questions from me on this one! Basically, I'm looking to add a little bit more colour to my setup lol. So far I change the colour of the lights in my tower every 2 days lol. I've been looking for LED strips on Amazon and I'm trying to decide where I'd like lights added. Not sure how I feel about sticking anything onto my monitor but around the edge of the desk by the wall maybe.. ? :unsure:

Really I'm just curious to know what others use and if there are any recommendations for certain LED lights/strips to go for and where they should go.

P.S I'm bored.

Ash_

Master Poster
LED’s really need to be diffused, bad use of them can/will lead to eye strain. I’d strongly recommend against put them around your monitor.

Personally my pc, mouse and keyboard is the only rgb i have/want.

steaky360

LED’s really need to be diffused, bad use of them can/will lead to eye strain. I’d strongly recommend against put them around your monitor.

To be fair, they're quite cool around the rear edge of a monitor (ie facing the wall) and won't cause eye strain that way I don't reckon - but fully agree if you can see the LED strip they should be diffused (for aesthetic reasons as well as for eye strain).

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I have some Lumary and Goove led strips, both from Amazon.
One behind my TV unit, one running along the back of PC desk and one above the desk running along a shelf and across the length of that wall.
All three I can control with my phone through the app software.

I always go for the RGB/WW so you can have some proper white colour, warm or bright.
I also recently replace the UV led strip in my case(liquid series build) with a CableMod UV/RGB strip to add a bit of colour at times instead of the purple colour of the UV strip always being on.
You can control this strip with a remote controller. Strip plugs into the PSU via a sata power cable.
If you have a 5 pin connection on MB it can connect this way, think its gigabyte fusion software, but as I have an asus MB it doesn't fit these but it works fine with the remote for changing colours.

I use some diffuser housing strips, like the above posters suggest. It gives off a better glow too so you don't get the harsh dots of colour across the wall.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster

To be fair, they're quite cool around the rear edge of a monitor (ie facing the wall) and won't cause eye strain that way I don't reckon - but fully agree if you can see the LED strip they should be diffused (for aesthetic reasons as well as for eye strain).
That's a good point about the monitor actually. I just wasn't sure I wanted to stick anything onto it but from pictures, I agree it can look awesome. I have that fear of leaving sticky marks or anything like that though. Not sure if that's a valid fear lol.

That's something else I've been looking at on Amazon. RGB mousemat, keyboard and mouse lol. Not sure if I'm getting carried away!

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
I have some Lumary and Goove led strips, both from Amazon.
One behind my TV unit, one running along the back of PC desk and one above the desk running along a shelf and across the length of that wall.
All three I can control with my phone through the app software.

I always go for the RGB/WW so you can have some proper white colour, warm or bright.
I also recently replace the UV led strip in my case(liquid series build) with a CableMod UV/RGB strip to add a bit of colour at times instead of the purple colour of the UV strip always being on.
You can control this strip with a remote controller. Strip plugs into the PSU via a sata power cable.
If you have a 5 pin connection on MB it can connect this way, think its gigabyte fusion software, but as I have an asus MB it doesn't fit these but it works fine with the remote for changing colours.

I use some diffuser housing strips, like the above posters suggest. It gives off a better glow too so you don't get the harsh dots of colour across the wall.
Diffuser housing strips? I love it when I ask a question and end up with a load more lol. And that's not sarcasm.. I'd like to learn!! :D

I definitely like the idea of being able to control the lighting through an app on my phone, for example. I use Armoury Crate and EXPERTool to play with the lighting in my case. So far I'm happy but I do look and wonder if more could be added or if I would change anything but for now I'm happy with the lighting in the tower. A big pro for me actually is something simple as being able to change the brightness of the colour round the graphics card. Love that the colour is set depending on the temp but the green was mega bright lol. Now it's less so..

(Apologies, I waffle)

EDIT: I understand about the strip diffusers now. :)