Question about RTX 3080

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
So i got my new PC today, but the RTX 3080 is installed with only 1 Cable with 2x8 pins. As far as i've read/aware they're supposed to use 2 seperate 8 pin cables and not use 1 cable with 2 8 pins on due to how powerful they are.

Reckon I should just remove the 2nd 8 pin and put in a 2nd dedicated one from the PSU? As I'm pretty sure thats what's recommended. Pretty shocking, would've thought the builders would've known what to do.

steaky360

Not really sure what you mean, the 8pin PCIe connectors will have dedicated 8pin connectors on the PSU? I don't think there are any 2x8pin to 1x8pin power cables.

EDIT: Did a little googlefu and it turns out there are... but I'd be surprised if that is the case - could you take a photo to show us what you mean?

steaky360

It does kind of look like that, I'd strongly suspect it is infact 2 cables, you can probably check if you can see what is plugged into your PSU, there's likely 2x 8pin PCIe cables installed onto the PSU itself.

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
Where is the 2nd cable though lol? I don't see one routed, but yeah i will have a look at the back either way, but i really can't see a 2nd cable.

steaky360

Where is the 2nd cable though lol? I don't see one routed, but yeah i will have a look at the back either way, but i really can't see a 2nd cable.
No I can't see one either (you're not going mad honest!) but (to me at least) the sleeve coming from the case is significantly larger than the one splitting of into the second 8 pin power connector. Best to have a quick look at the PSU if you can, I suspect the back panel of the case will need to come off for you to look.

Edit: The more I look at the photo the less I'm sure. Won't know for sure either way till the PSU can be checked.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I honestly can't make head nor tail of those pictures. Could you take some pictures of the actual plug connection on the GPU so that we can see which connections are being used?

Which PSU is it you have?

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
Right, I'm pretty sure I see all those circled in red plugged in.

Seem right to you?

Last edited:

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
I honestly can't make head nor tail of those pictures. Could you take some pictures of the actual plug connection on the GPU so that we can see which connections are being used?

Which PSU is it you have?
Corsair RMX 750. Above this comment i made a picture circling all the PSU ports that had things plugged in to make it easier.

steaky360

One of the two 8 pins will be for your CPU - looks like there is only one cable - Corsair supply these cables with 1 x 8pin on the PSU side and 2x 6/8 pin's on the GPU side

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's still not helping with regards to what is plugged into the GPU but I think I understand your question.

So you have 1 8pin cable coming from the PSU and branching into 2x 8pin cables plugged into the GPU?

This isn't right IMO, should be using 2 separate connectors. The cabling isn't the issue, it's the actual plug that's power limited.... hence they can have a smaller 12 pin plug that covers the same wattage as 2x8 pin plugs.

If the power is split at the PSU as well as at the GPU then all is well but if it's 1 plug at the PSU to 2 plugs at the GPU then that's all wrong and I would give PCS a call.

Fortunately you should have the cabling and accessories in your welcome pack to put it right yourself and save down time with the PC, but I would definitely still get onto PCS to make them aware of this mistake.

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
So I should probably put another dedicated 8 pin from the PSU to go to the GPU then, considering that is highly recommended

steaky360

Yes I would say so, will flag this up with the Admins also to see if there's an update to the build team that is needed (maybe it 'is' ok, but it doesn't seem like it is...)

Discussed with @moosEh and it has been addressed with the build team.

@AlexJames did you manage to thread another cable in? If not yet, I'd suggest following the same route as the currently installed one assuming there is space.

Last edited:

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
Yes I would say so, will flag this up with the Admins also to see if there's an update to the build team that is needed (maybe it 'is' ok, but it doesn't seem like it is...)

Discussed with @moosEh and it has been addressed with the build team.

@AlexJames did you manage to thread another cable in? If not yet, I'd suggest following the same route as the currently installed one assuming there is space.
Can't get the bloody cable in to plug into the PSU lol, its so crowded down there so gave up on trying. Especially with the drive cage in the way, its empty but couldnt seem to find the right head screw driver to remove the screws holding the cage in. Not enough room at all to get my hand in and plug in another 8 pin down there

PCS_Chris

Staff member
Hi Alexjames,

Thank you for bringing up this issue. You are correct in that our production team should have used two separate power cables from the power supply for the PCIe power of your GPU.

As you mention, it is highly recommended to use two separate power cables for these new GPU's due to their much higher power consumption over previous generations.

Our internal production notes have been adjusted and the production team leader has been informed to keep a closer eye on this.

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
Well I'm probably just going to leave it for now, no issues so far. Can't put the cable in if i wanted anyway. Too cramped. Oh well

steaky360

Well I'm probably just going to leave it for now, no issues so far. Can't put the cable in if i wanted anyway. Too cramped. Oh well
You'll be able too, if you've got the patience I'd suggest you'll get them in by systematically disconnecting and reconnecting the other cables plugged into the PSU.

OR if the PSU was installed from the rear, you could loosen the PSU from the case to give you more room.

PCS will also help out if you've got the time to give them a call.

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
You'll be able too, if you've got the patience I'd suggest you'll get them in by systematically disconnecting and reconnecting the other cables plugged into the PSU.

OR if the PSU was installed from the rear, you could loosen the PSU from the case to give you more room.

PCS will also help out if you've got the time to give them a call.
Im gonna give it another go I suppose. Just a question. The PCIE cable provided in the box is another one with 2 at the end and 1 for the PSU, but the side for the PSU has a "pin" missing, all other 7 "pins" have a bit of metal in them, but the 8th, is empty and has no wire running to it, is that normal?

steaky360

hmm... that seems a bit weird, something you can maybe check on the one that is already installed (they should be identical), I thought all the pins would be populated on the 8pin connector....