Question before buying about the PSU in my quote

Chris McCluskey

I've just put together a spec for a new PC and it has the standard 350W PSU. The site tells me, when I click on Proceed, that the system only needs 281W, so that seem fine.

The PC has the following:

Processor (CPU)
AMD A8-5500 Quad Core APU (3.2GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7560D Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® F2A55-M LE: (M-ATX, DDR3, USB2.0, SATA 3Gb/s)
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD7750 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

On the AMD site, it recommends a 400W or greater PSU for the HD7750, with 500W or greater for Crossfire, which isn't an issue here. Has the site got things wrong? Or are there other factors that get taken into account that mean a 350W PSU is actually fine? Given the other major components drawing power alongside the graphics card, it does make me wonder. I don't want to have my son's Christmas present be unusable or unstable because of a power problem.

Thanks

Chris

niklad

I've just put together a spec for a new PC and it has the standard 350W PSU. The site tells me, when I click on Proceed, that the system only needs 281W, so that seem fine.

The PC has the following:

Processor (CPU)
AMD A8-5500 Quad Core APU (3.2GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7560D Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® F2A55-M LE: (M-ATX, DDR3, USB2.0, SATA 3Gb/s)
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD7750 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

On the AMD site, it recommends a 400W or greater PSU for the HD7750, with 500W or greater for Crossfire, which isn't an issue here. Has the site got things wrong? Or are there other factors that get taken into account that mean a 350W PSU is actually fine? Given the other major components drawing power alongside the graphics card, it does make me wonder. I don't want to have my son's Christmas present be unusable or unstable because of a power problem.

Thanks

Chris

The PSU you have included is probably ok, but if within your budget it might be wise to go for the next up PSU in case your son decides to upgrade his computer in the future or add a graphics card etc. Best to err on the safe side.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The configurator should give you a more accurate reading of your power requirements since you are customising your spec and it also adds an allowance of 20%. If you are planning to have a dedicated GPU you may want to consider an fx-4100 CPU instead.