Question - New build or Upgrade?

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
Hey Everyone.

So i bought this PC when the 900 Series cards came out, was pricey for me at the time but obviously prices have fallen but I'm thinking of upgrading setup.
I currently run two monitors in 1080p (resolution is fine for me) and im considering a third, cheap and cheerful 1080p monitor but also considering upgrading my PC. Question is, is it worth upgrading on what i have (cost is important), and if so what? I'd like to comfortably game on just the one monitor and the two are for multitasking / Youtube / Streaming / productivity (the usual) so not doing a three-monitor gaming set-up, but it's a nice option to have. For the last 2.5 years this pc makes hell of a racket when running any intensive game which i guess is the CPU cooler so is it worth changing that out?. The CPU seems to be fine but lately on logging in to windows i get an occasional super slow response. It isnt overclocked - I've never done it but im willing to try.

Spec is :

Case
Corsair 750D Full Tower

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® MAXIMUS VII RANGER: PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0

Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready

1st Hard Disk
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 410MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

If i was to new build, it probably would be until the end of the year anyway, though i can't see the need for it to be honest - i have little to no knowledge about part compatibility, like would a 1070 fit fine with this just by upping the PSU? Or would a new CPU be a straight swap?

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Stick with that build tbh.

A 1070 would be fine without upping the PSU. Tbh you could probably run a pair in SLI off it if you wanted to (not that there's any good reason to, but in terms of wattage and power connections it would be possible).

A new CPU would not slot straight in, you'd need a new mobo and new RAM. Also it would be largely pointless:
2600k-revisit-gtav.png
(and those results are with a GTX 1080 - a 1070 would be even more GPU bound, giving a likely smaller difference still) in performance.

Keep your CPU - wait for a more meaningful upgrade to be available, maybe in the form of Cannonlake.

As for the slow windows starts, there are a lot of potential causes before you get to the hardware.

As for the CPU cooler noise, you could just replace the fan. Maybe with a Noctua one optimised for SP or something.