Questions about a Top-end (almost maxed out) Octane II pro

gunsch

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, i'm new in this Forum, haven't found anything regarding this topic yet so i'm here with a couple of questions regarding an Octane II pro equipped with:

i7 6700k
Gtx 980 (the desktop grade card, no "m")
16 gigs of 2133 mhz ddr4 ram
1TB 5400rpm HDD + 240GB SSD for the OS and a few games.
And the Arctic mx-4 extreme thermal paste.

I'm considering to buy this configuration, mainly for gaming (heavily modded skyrim, crysis, witcher 3 and so on) plus i want to be future proof for a couple of years, but there are a few things that worry me...

0.5 Are those specs too overkill?/still worth the money or could i get something with like 10% less performance for like half the price?

1. What about the cooling? Even with that magic thermal paste i have trust issues that some fans can keep a more than 4 ghz beast of a cpu and a top end gpu tamed. Does anybody know how hot they will get? I'd prefer something below 80 degrees celsius at load for gpu and cpu although i highly doubt that this would possible in such a (relatively) small enviroment.
I just want my laptop to last long and not fry my graphics card after 2 years of usage.

2. What about dust? Luckily my room isn't that dusty, but still, could that become a problem? Are the fans able to be cleaned properly?

3. Noise?
It doesn't have to be a ninja since i'll be using an over-ear headset anyway, just hoping it isn't like the aorus x7 pro.

4. Am i worrying too much?
I'm not even close to being an expert regarding temperatures in a laptop, i basically know that around 60-80 degrees is optimal and 100 degrees would be to much or am i wrong? Can somebody confirm that this thing runs cool enough with pretty much maxed out specs?

Please throw any questions regarding the build or maybe even answers for my question down below,
Thanks for help in advance! :D
Other recommendations or generally anything that gets me closer to the decision of wether or not i'm going to buy this beast is appreciated!

BoxedUp

The Octane II Pro is based on the Clevo P870DM. You'll be able to find reviews and the like a bit easier with that information. here is a good review.
There are owners clubs that have a wealth of information.

0.5 - Overkill is going to have a different definition depending on what you want. Playing heavily modded skyrim can be massively taxing, I know some of the mods can eat huge amounts of RAM. This won't struggle. Within ~10% performance you can consider a 980M SLI setup. Not sure it will work out cheaper but you won't find anything that comes too close to the 980 otherwise.

1 - 3 - The linked review covers most of this better than I could. If you're in a relatively dust-free environment anyway I wouldn't worry. The fans are easy to clean if you remove the base cover but they're also powerful enough to blow out most of the dust they could suck in.

4 - You don't need to worry too much about temperature. At full load on GPU and CPU you will most likely throttle down, if you have in general use you can choose how much of a trade-off between noise and cooling that you want.

gunsch

Bronze Level Poster
Edit #1:
I think you mistook the Octane II Pro for the VortexV Elite. Are you sure that its's based on the P870DM and not the P775DM? P8 seems to be a bit better in terms of cooling and overall performance, but unfortunately the chassis looks very similar to the P7

Wow, the clevo name helped me out more than i thought it would have, thanks :D

Unfortunately i can't click on the link right now, i'm stuck with my phone cause my computer went to valhalla a few days ago (that's where the octane comes to the rescue)

But that definitely calms me down a little. i'm going to read some more reviews, but as things are now it seems like i'm going to stick with my build, maybe get rid of that k from the processor, considering i wouldn't overclock it by that much anyway.

Alright, thanks for your time and enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited: