QuestOS being opened up to 3rd party manufacturers

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Now, while I totally support 3rd party integration into hardware and software, I'm so utterly distrustful of Facebook (they will always be Facebook a rebrand isn't going to get people to forget their past controversies) and although they've been forced to backtrack on very intrusive aspects of the Quest headsets in the last couple of years, please please please do educate yourself on what exactly data harvesting means in the modern world, and do what you can to minimise it. It's not about your data necessarily that's important really, it's about that data times a user base of multiple billions and how that translates to influencing extremely big things in the world. It's the reason data is the most expensive commodity currently in the world.

Meta's privacy policy explicitly states the following, yet ever since 2016 it's been one massive illegal data sale to another:
Does_Meta_sell_my_information____Privacy_Centre___Manage_your_privacy_on_Facebook__Instagram_a...jpg

Source: https://privacycenter.instagram.com/guide/ads/

These occur multiple times a year quite literally.

The point is that Meta have proven and continue to prove time and time again that they have absolutely no regard for user privacy or laws because selling data illegally pays them money which means more to them than your rights, and the fines issued mean absolutely nothing to them as it barely scratches the surface and currently legislation doesn't allow for meaningful penalties. And it's the people they choose to sell this data to that we all need to be very careful of globally.

This move is a Microsoft move, licensing the OS to hardware vendors to get it as widely spread as possible enabling greater data harvesting. It's why they're pushing so heavily on their MetaVerse. I don't deny the experience may be the best value, I do think the sacrifice though is definitely not worth it.

But my feelings aside, here's the article

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don’t use any of the main ‘social media’ apps/websites. The only social media I use are forums and YouTube…both with adblockers and privacy badger extensions to block those sneaky tracking pixels.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Now, while I totally support 3rd party integration into hardware and software, I'm so utterly distrustful of Facebook (they will always be Facebook a rebrand isn't going to get people to forget their past controversies) and although they've been forced to backtrack on very intrusive aspects of the Quest headsets in the last couple of years, please please please do educate yourself on what exactly data harvesting means in the modern world, and do what you can to minimise it. It's not about your data necessarily that's important really, it's about that data times a user base of multiple billions and how that translates to influencing extremely big things in the world. It's the reason data is the most expensive commodity currently in the world.

Meta's privacy policy explicitly states the following, yet ever since 2016 it's been one massive illegal data sale to another:
View attachment 40841
Source: https://privacycenter.instagram.com/guide/ads/

These occur multiple times a year quite literally.

The point is that Meta have proven and continue to prove time and time again that they have absolutely no regard for user privacy or laws because selling data illegally pays them money which means more to them than your rights, and the fines issued mean absolutely nothing to them as it barely scratches the surface and currently legislation doesn't allow for meaningful penalties. And it's the people they choose to sell this data to that we all need to be very careful of globally.

This move is a Microsoft move, licensing the OS to hardware vendors to get it as widely spread as possible enabling greater data harvesting. It's why they're pushing so heavily on their MetaVerse. I don't deny the experience may be the best value, I do think the sacrifice though is definitely not worth it.

But my feelings aside, here's the article

"does meta sell my information"

Homer Simpson Yes GIF - Homer Simpson Yes The Simpsons - Discover ...

"we never sell your information to advertisers"

Homer Simpson Laughing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
then theres this amazing piece of ************ ****** ************************* *

It’s just endless with META. And they won’t stop because they have an agenda outside of software services and products, those things are secondary to their real objectives.

Unfortunately Google are definitely going the same way.

Always be wary of the “fremium” model. There is no such thing as free, when a product is “free”, either the revenue is generated through heavy advertising, which means tracking cookies which invariably tie in to other aspects of the device use, or it’s because you’ve agreed to terms and conditions that explicitly allow access to cameras, microphones etc etc and all that logged data is then sold to the highest bidder.

This isn’t always true, there are some excellent free products under the open source GNU licensing model, generally those are created by old school advocates that believe the web should always be free to all and about sharing good information and productivity tools to better people’s lives, not profit. All hail Tim Berners Lee

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
things that make you go umm

I would recommend to anyone to watch the following films which will make you understand motives and big data better