Quick GPU over-clocking question!

steaky360

In my oppinion, if you're thinking about overclocking you shouldn't be worried about voiding your GPU. If you're confident enough with what you are doing and will take it slow and steady there will be no problems and no need to try and get an RMA (warranted or not). If you are really concerned about losing the warranty, I'd say don't overclock until the warranty is out (or mostly out).

Spuff

Expert
All I did with my R9 280x was download the power tuneup program for powercolor, downloaded furmark, from this you need to try and balance things by monitoring your temperature, voltage and FPS/throttling.

You do need to increase the voltage for the highest overclock a GPU can achieve, but you can get a respectable overclock without touching the voltage, which for me is the point you sail off the edge of the world.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
You do need to increase the voltage for the highest overclock a GPU can achieve, but you can get a respectable overclock without touching the voltage, which for me is the point you sail off the edge of the world.

On my thing I believe it's just the limit I'm increasing, I think the voltage is regulated by the chip and it uses what it wants while in the limit I've gave it, I could be wrong though.

Spuff

Expert
On my thing I believe it's just the limit I'm increasing, I think the voltage is regulated by the chip and it uses what it wants while in the limit I've gave it, I could be wrong though.

Yes, I think that may be right.
I'm not actually sure how it works, but I would be hesitant to let it increase voltage to a higher limit. I've only recently started to use a fps monitor when I first pay a game, and some games seem to produce the maximum frames the GPU can do (even though my TV can't display all those frames) while my present game limits the frames to my TV rate without me asking anything to limit it. I know I could set a fps limit but I'm preferring to let it go free. I would be supposing any unlimited ones might push the GPU to its voltage limits.
I notice that HW Monitor shows that the GPU does raise the voltage, seeming to alternate between a normal and higher value.
(I play games though my TV)

Last edited:

halox

Enthusiast
Your GPU will top out at 60 FPS if your V-sync is on. Take it off and it goes to its max.

The manufacturer of the GPU restricts the voltage. If you keep it inside that voltage then there is no need for concern. If you still want to overclock then leave the voltage locked. MSI Afterburner can unlock the voltage but you are on your own then. The clock, memory speeds can be changed easily and you can overclock your card more than you might think just be doing this. Start slow until you get an idea of the temperature rises per percentage increase. Then tweak it from there. It can take days to get the perfect overclock and to have it right on the limit.

I seen someone say they use Furmark for testing. For normal overclocking and temperature testing I use Unigine Heavenbench or Unigine Valley. My reason for this is Unigine give a good representation of a game whereas Furmark does not.

If you want to boot the crap out your GPU then I found a piece of software by accident which does this easily. I made a vid of it too. It keeps your GPU at 100% usage with minimal effort and no on screen display which allows you to tweak things at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9XB8ft7n_Y&t=1m45s

Spuff

Expert
For normal overclocking and temperature testing I use Unigine Heavenbench or Unigine Valley. My reason for this is Unigine give a good representation of a game whereas Furmark does not.
[/url]

HW Monitor will show you the maximum temperature reached during a game or anything else. I like it because it is a very light and simple application that can be left on.

halox

Enthusiast
HW Monitor will show you the maximum temperature reached during a game or anything else. I like it because it is a very light and simple application that can be left on.

Likewise with MSI afterburner except it gives you a live graph to see exactly when you reached those temperatures and it also shows what your GPU was doing at that point. And its free!