Quick question about RAM

ata

Say I was going to get 4GB of RAM, is it better to get 2x2GB or 1x4GB, and why?

Thanks!

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
1 x 4gb is also slightly slower than 2 x 2gb. It depends on how long you are expecting to keep the laptop for and what you want to do with it in a few years time. If you are going to still be wanting it to later. I would probably suggest the 1 x 4gb as it won't be much slower and will be very easy to upgrade in the future.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
1 x 4gb is also slightly slower than 2 x 2gb. It depends on how long you are expecting to keep the laptop for and what you want to do with it in a few years time. If you are going to still be wanting it to later. I would probably suggest the 1 x 4gb as it won't be much slower and will be very easy to upgrade in the future.

there is absolutely no difference whatsoever, either one will have the same cock speed and make no difference, if anything it will be sightly faster

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
there is absolutely no difference whatsoever, either one will have the same cock speed and make no difference, if anything it will be sightly faster

Really? Sorry if I am wrong but 2 sticks are always faster in benchmarks and stuff as far as I have seen! Looks like we are going to have to get a 3rd opinion! However, it is unlikely you will notice this difference in normal usage.

The reason the 2x ram sticks is faster is because the laptop can address twice as much ram per memory clock cycle (twice as many pins).

Last edited:

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Overall, I think it would be best to get the 1x4GB as it is more likely that you will notice the lack of size of the RAM than the speed of the RAM first. RAM is ridiculously easy to upgrade and is fairly cheap so there would be no problem doing it when you computer starts slowing down.

Reactions: ata