Radeon RX 5600 XT With Tomb Raider

mcp42

My daughter owns the computer, so here are her specs
I7 Intel Core, 9700, Asus TUF Z390-Plus MB, 16GB of ram, 6GB RX5600TX card.

She is finding running the latest Tomb Raider game a bit of a struggle and lowering the resolution seems to help, from the specs of the games she should be able to run this at full resolution?

The drivers have been re-installed and the specs seem ok (she may be better off with 32GB of ram)

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K, 3.40 Ghz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 3.20 Ghz
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 480, 8GB

As I am not a gamer and my only experience is with Cuda and Nvidia GTX cards (python, AI). Has anyone got any good pointers as she wants to buy an Nvidia RTX 3060ti ?

Anyone playing the same game?

Thanks

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What size a PSU does she have and monitor? The 3060Ti is a 1440p GPU I have one and it's great, so I would strongly recommend it provided you have the monitor and PSU to use it?

Her specs should be more than good enough to run that game though so I'm not sure why she is running into issues

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry, not sure if I'm missing something, but it all depends what resolution and refresh the monitor is she's playing it on?

That game is fairly hungry, especially if you have everything on full with Ray Tracing.

mcp42

So specs for the PSU are 550w Txm series (should be ok for the Nvidia)
Have to find out about her desktop settings as I am supporting her via Team Viewer. It could be the case that the card cant handle the ray tracing etc.

In my days of Quake and Doom I would just lower the textures and screen size and be done with it, today's kids, just buy another card. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So specs for the PSU are 550w Txm series (should be ok for the Nvidia)
Have to find out about her desktop settings as I am supporting her via Team Viewer. It could be the case that the card cant handle the ray tracing etc.

In my days of Quake and Doom I would just lower the textures and screen size and be done with it, today's kids, just buy another card. :)
It's not the desktop, but the monitor make and model we need.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think its an ACER Nitro KG272 27" IPS Full HD 165Hz 0.5ms Gaming Monitor which can do 1920x... she is convinced she needs the Nvidia Card, bank of Dad isn't ;0
That would handle the game on medium graphics with ray tracing disabled at around 100fps

You'd absolutely have to disable any Ray Tracing though as that would bring it to a crawl.

Skip to 2:14 for settings:

RAM won't improve anything, 16Gb is fine.

mcp42

That would handle the game on medium graphics with ray tracing disabled at around 100fps

You'd absolutely have to disable any Ray Tracing though as that would bring it to a crawl.

Skip to 2:14 for settings:

RAM won't improve anything, 16Gb is fine.
Thanks, I try to get her to lower the settings or turn off ray tracing and see if this helps