RAM - 4 banks of 8, or 2 of 16?

rouchie

Rising Star
when i asked this chat myself month ago, Tove did give me clear answer that 16gb modules are 2 rank and 8gb modules are 1 rank.
That said someone in here said they are now selling 16gb 2 rank modules, so better be sure
Yeah, that was why I asked, thank you so much for your help, much appreciated (y)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The memory RANK is the number of 64-bit addressable areas on the RAM card/module. More ranks gives a performance boost because they are managed independently.

The memory BANK is an individual memory card/module. It can be 1, 2 or more RANK.

The memory channel is the connection between the memory controller and the RAM banks. In single channel only one bank is accessed at a time, giving a 64-bit bandwidth. In dual channel two banks are accessed at the same time, giving a 128-bit bandwidth.

Last edited:

MrWilson

Godlike
Is there a way to check online whether your RAM is single or dual rank? Like by batch code or something? Or is it the case of contacting supplier?

DarTon

Can't you just use Thaiphoon Burner or SIV64X to give you a read out? Thaiphoon gives you manufacturer, part number, rank etc.

EDIT: Example of output from Thaiphoon (not my PCS PC, just example)

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

DarTon

@rouchie. Yes. I was responding to @MrWilson.

Perhaps recent buyers of PCS computers with exactly the same RAM as you've selected could check what the've got. Even then it might not be the same.

At a more macro level though we are talking about a few percent. If you worry about what rank you're getting, you should be as concerned about the exact GPU you receive. That's another lottery and that could easily be more relevant.

If you are really concerned then I suppose you could downgrade the RAM to 1x4GB 2400 stick and just buy the 2x16GB yourself from a third party. I thought about that.

Where I somewhat disagree is that the majority of 16GB sticks are dual rank. That was the case but in recent years more and more single rank is turning up. Corsair included.

Last edited:

rouchie

Rising Star
@rouchie. Yes. I was responding to @MrWilson.

PCS should be able to tell you, but I found over the phone they didn't even know what the CL was. Perhaps recent buyers of PCS computers with exactly the same RAM as you've selected could check what the've got. Even then it might not be the same.

At a more macro level though we are talking about a few percent. If you worry about what rank you're getting, you should be as concerned about the exact GPU you receive. That's another lottery and that could easily be more relevant.

If you are really concerned then I suppose you could downgrade the RAM to 1x4GB 2400 stick and just buy the 2x16GB yourself from a third party. I thought about that.

Where I somewhat disagree is that the majority of 16GB sticks are dual rank. That was the case but in recent years more and more single rank is turning up. Corsair included.
Thanks @DarTon - I am just looking to get the optimal bang for my buck on this pc as it is gonna have to last me a good while because I really dont think Mrs Rouchie will be too impressed if I start looking at upgrades etc in the foreseeable futuire :)

rouchie

Rising Star
Got a very prompt response from my email earlier today "Thank you for the email. The only single rank RAM modules we sell are the 4GB and 8GB modules. The 16GB modules and above that we sell are dual rank modules. Note that this only applies to the Corsair RAM modules that we offer. Note that the Kingston ECC RAM that we have on our servers options do not apply."

loso64

Sweet, so 2x16 or 4x8 is what you need 🙂
Got a very prompt response from my email earlier today "Thank you for the email. The only single rank RAM modules we sell are the 4GB and 8GB modules. The 16GB modules and above that we sell are dual rank modules. Note that this only applies to the Corsair RAM modules that we offer. Note that the Kingston ECC RAM that we have on our servers options do not apply."

loso64

yeah so I will stick with the 2 x 16 as the cheaper option and gives me the option to increase ram in case thats ever needed
Just keep in mind two things

A: it is not advised to mix rams, even if same model unless they come from specific designed kit, can cause instability

B: having more than 4 ranks will remove the CPU speed boost from having exactly 4 ranks, as far as I know. So ideally you would search for 16gb 1 rank sticks to get 4x16

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

I wouldn't be convinced by that to be honest. I'm unsure how much they have actually looked into your query.

See this post here..

This is what I was referring to earlier.

With that all being said the person in question opted for 3000mhz RAM, so that could be the main difference.... but the response from the PCS agent doesn't seem to suggest particular frequencies in their reply.

rouchie

Rising Star
Sorry @Scott, I'm confused, and please dont mistake my questions as rudeness or arrogance, my head is genuinely likely to melt soon as I am struggling to understand. My order is for 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB) on the build in my signature, I believed from various answers I have been given that if my 16gb modules were dual rank, all would be fine as I would have 4 ranks all lining up nicely in a row and would optimise the RAMs performance. I had also been previously told that 3200mhz was the optimum for my build. Are you saying that the response I got from PCS is likely to be incorrect or that my understanding of the best RAM configuration for my build is flawed?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
No, not at all. All I'm saying is that the response from PCS isn't entirely accurate as they have provided customers with single rank 16GB sticks before. To say that all 16GB Dimms are dual rank is un-true as they have already sold single rank dims.

Like I said though, that was 3000mhz RAM so if the PCS agent was referring to 3200Mhz+ then it's possibly completely accurate. I am just suggesting that they may not have been fully informed about the inventory options.