RAM compatibility ASUS H81-Gamer motherboard

the_farwall

Hi folks
I've just taken delivery of my new desktop which I deliberately under-specced on RAM thinking I could scavenge from my old machine (I didn't do the reading, I admit) but I've hit problems.
The motherboard in the new machine is
ASUS® H81-Gamer: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
which came with
2GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 2GB)

I've got 4 x 4GB DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz that I was going to put in it but when I try using them, the machine doesn't boot. No bios beep, no nothing.

I noted on the ASUS site for the motherboard it says -
"Due to Intel® chipset limitation, H81-GAMER can only support single-side memories when four modules are installed and they will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR3 1066 MHz."

but even just using two of the 4GB sticks to avoid anything related to that note gives me the same problem, no boot. So, now I'm wary of even going out to get new memory in case I still pick up something that won't work. Does anyone know what's going on or have any suggestions what I'm doing wrong? If I just stick to DDR3 16000MHz for extra RAM can I expect that to work ok? Thanks.

Stephen M

Author Level
If you bought the PC from PCS you can log on to your account and go to the upgrade option, that will only offer you stuff that is compatible.

Stephen M

Author Level
You have only just taken delivery, took me a few months to find it and had my first PCS laptop more than two years ago,

Rakk

The Awesome
How does upgrade work? Do they send it out to you or do you send your PC back?

Your choice - if you can do it yourself they will send it out to you, otherwise you can send it back to them and they will install and test it for you (no 'Upgrade' charge if you do it yourself)