RAM Configurations

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Hey, so I have a desktop PC at home with a MSI H61M-P31 (G3) (MS-7788) motherboard. I was wondering if I could use a 4GB stick of RAM with a 2GB Stick? Or whether it would be better to go with two 4GB sticks. I know they both have to be the same frequency, type etc. I'm planning to buy Kingston HyperX Blu 1333MHz DDR3 (1333MHz being the max this particular motherboard supports).

The reason I ask this is because I've heard some motherboards will not work with certain combinations of RAM. I tried searching Google but it only came back with the maximum RAM that this motherboard supports. Any help is greatly appreciated.

steaky360

I'd suggest if you're unsure to just go with 2x4Gb sticks. But if you already own the 2Gb stick its not going to hurt to try it. If it doesn't work, take out the 2Gb and get another 4Gb :)

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah I think I might go for two 4GBs, I'm yet to buy them so I'm not going to risk the aggro of buying a 2GB for it not to work. There's not even any information on their website.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you had the sticks lying around then you could stick em in and see what happens. Because your buying them you would be best buying 2x4Gb sticks because it can cause issues if you don't match the sticks properly, on some motherboards anyway.

That's why they sell RAM in kits, so they're all validated to work together properly. Say if you bought a Kingston module today and in 2 years bought a 2nd one they wouldn't be 100% guaranteed to work. They probably would but not guaranteed...

Worst that can happen is you need to remove them and buy a proper kit, you cant damage anything but your wallet in this instance.