RAM Frequency

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
Ok maybe this is a stupid question but i cant find much on the internet about it, Hopefully someone can help on here.

When i bought my laptop i asked for 8gb of ram at 133MHz, just checked on CPU-Z and it shows the Frequency at half that 665.2MHz is there a reason for that? i have never noticed before?

The RAM installed is defiantly the correct RAM just running at half the speed.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
That is correct, your ram is dual DDR3, so 2x665.2=1330.4

So its running at the correct speed :)

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks so much, i was worried. At least that settled something,

So if i installed extra ram that i have around DDR2 633MHz would that slow the other down?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
no you shouldn't add DDR2 with DDR3 memory.

If you specifically want more ram, give pcs a bell and get the exact same ram. Then you need not worry about compatibility issues.

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
Ok well i was using DDR2 but i have took it out. Dont need more ram i just had it laying around. Do you no the max transfer rate for my DDR3 1333MHz is it something like 10643MB/s? Thats 10.3GB/s is that right?

Sorry im bored and trying to understand it all.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That is very fast, the cache inside the processor itself (usually only a couple of MB in size) can hit the terabytes/second range (1000GB = 1Terabyte)

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
That is very fast, the cache inside the processor itself (usually only a couple of MB in size) can hit the terabytes/second range (1000GB = 1Terabyte)

Yeah i think mine is 6MB, wouldent of thought it would be capable of transferring that amount per second. Im gonna have a read about that now! Im supposed to be packing my suitcases but instead im reading up on transfer speeds or RAM and CPU's? lol