Ram options.

Craigsup

Silver Level Poster
Hi,
I'm going to be ordering the Vortex 3 17" next week, and I'm spending roughly £1400~.
I'm indecisive on which RAM to buy, should I chose:

A) 16Gb Samsung 1600mhz (4x4gb)

or

B) 8Gb Kingston Hyper-X Genesis (2x4Gb)

I plan to use the laptop for general university purpose as well as gaming (Counter Strike, Possibly WoW / Diablo 3). I may also do some light video rendering.

I am spending a lot on a laptop now so it will cope with the increasing technology change during my 4 years at university.

Thanks

Craig

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
16GB is a much larger amount than 8GB and will make the laptop is future-proof as possible. Most games however will not need more than 8GB of RAM.

In terms of performance you will not notice any difference in speed between Kingston and Samsung memory.

Craigsup

Silver Level Poster
16GB is a much larger amount than 8GB and will make the laptop is future-proof as possible. Most games however will not need more than 8GB of RAM.

In terms of performance you will not notice any difference in speed between Kingston and Samsung memory.

Okay thanks for the fast reply.
Just wondering why there is a £12 difference in the Samsung and Kingston 8GB set if there is no performance increase.
Or is there a performance increase but so minimal it won't be noticeable to the user?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The performance increase is not noticeable to the naked eye. The price is more because you are paying for the Kingston premium brand.