RAM Purchase Advice

Apologies for about 3 questions in one post. :)

I'd like to upgrade the amount of RAM on my computer because I currently have the standard 4GB RAM but I don't know how many MHZ RAM I should add or replace to improve performance but avoid my laptop overheating or there being a problem with the power fuse. My current slot of 4GB RAM according to Speccy is only 798.1MHZ whereas the vast majority of RAM viewable on sites like Amazon has about 1600MHZ which despite comments that it's primarily the CPU and GPU that are the most troublesome about heat I fear that an additional 8GB RAM of such capacity might make my computer overheat. Additionally, I do not know what RAM would be compatible with my computer the module is a Toshiba Satellite Pro R50B, I assume there are different size dimensions for Desktop and Laptop RAM but I really don't know and I found the manual once, can't find it again and don't recall finding the answer to this question.

Finally somebody said something along the lines of having dual channel RAM, I presume that has some significance or does it just mean that 2 slots will be taken up rather than one. Also will this additional RAM significantly reduce battery life.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions, I await your advice.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I don't know how many MHZ RAM I should add or replace to improve performance but avoid my laptop overheating
Toshiba Satellite Pro R50B,
I would suggest contacting Toshiba directly. For general use the memory bandwidth wouldn't make a noticeable difference in performance