Ram question

grant01

so i ordered this

Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)

and i have opened CPU-Z and it`s telling me this :

MAX BANDWIDTH DDR4-2132 (1066MHZ) in both slots 2 and 4

Does this mean my ram is actually running slower than what is advertised here?

thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I believe that the lower frequency is related to the testing that PCS do...not sure if they cap the MHz or if it is just a side-effect of the testing. There is a way to get it to normal MHz but I cannot remember what it is off-hand.

@SpyderTracks Can you remember how to unlock the MHz on RAM? Someone was asking this recently but can't remember. Thanks
Yes, just firstly when that reports 1066MHz it’s only reporting single channel, so you double it as it’s dual channel RAM

So it’s actually 2132 which would be roughly the default of the motherboard.

If you go into the BIOS which can be accessed via advanced startup in windows, you need to find the XMP settings and just apply the 3000mhz XMP.

grant01

Yes, just firstly when that reports 1066MHz it’s only reporting single channel, so you double it as it’s dual channel RAM

So it’s actually 2132 which would be roughly the default of the motherboard.

If you go into the BIOS which can be accessed via advanced startup in windows, you need to find the XMP settings and just apply the 3000mhz XMP.

perfect thanks alot. Will try this later.

Also, why is it that it`s not coming standard as 3000mhz? Why should i have to OC this to what was naturally stated ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
perfect thanks alot. Will try this later.

Also, why is it that it`s not coming standard as 3000mhz? Why should i have to OC this to what was naturally stated ?
It’s just that they’ve forgotten to apply the XMP after testing as it would be disabled for any tests.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Seems like this is a by-product of how busy they are at the moment as this isn't the first time it's happened recently (whereas I don't recall it being mentioned prior to the current situation)
Yes, there have been a few reports recently. I’ll send an email to the admins highlighting it to make them aware.

T4S

Received my new PC on Friday and have the same RAM issue, showing as Max Bandwidth DDR4-2132 (1066MHz) when I ordered 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB). Also, when I turn on the device I get a BIOS error warning ref: CPU Fan failure.
Been trying to get through via telephone to discuss but constantly on hold...In a word, annoying!

grant01

It’s just that they’ve forgotten to apply the XMP after testing as it would be disabled for any tests.

So if I ordered 2400mhz ram sticks I would probably get the exact same sticks of ram....but cheaper? It just so happens that the xmp is able to push it to 3000mhz?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So if I ordered 2400mhz ram sticks I would probably get the exact same sticks of ram....but cheaper? It just so happens that the xmp is able to push it to 3000mhz?
No, any board has a max native RAM speed, on most its 2133. To achieve higher speeds you have to apply an xmp as well as having ram that can support those speeds.

Krasio

Silver Level Poster
Im hoping there would be non of those issues when my pc c
Received my new PC on Friday and have the same RAM issue, showing as Max Bandwidth DDR4-2132 (1066MHz) when I ordered 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB). Also, when I turn on the device I get a BIOS error warning ref: CPU Fan failure.
Been trying to get through via telephone to discuss but constantly on hold...In a word, annoying!

Keep trying to contact them.