RAM Speed

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
Hey folks,

I have put in a order for my PCS build and it is still in pre production, the time waiting for my PC has me thinking about whether it is worthwhile going higher with the RAM speed, especially as AMD ZEN 3 seems to be able to utilise the faster speeds (from what I understand).

What type of computer work will really benefit from faster ram speeds? I will be using my machine most for 3D animation.

This is the beaut of a machine I am waiting on

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PRO XT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Webcam
Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Insurance
Simplesurance Purchase Protection inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
2 DAY DELIVERY TO GERMANY
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 21 to 23 working days
Welcome Book
PCZ Welcome Book - Germany
Logo Branding
PCZ Logo

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
From what I've read on various threads, there isn't a lot of difference going from 3200 to 3600, so I'd say stick where you are, also in the past their have been stability issues with 3600

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You could upgrade the WiFi card to the AX200 as this gives access to the latest standards.
Yes, definitely worth doing... the one you have currently is single 2.4GHz band and only wireless N speeds, the AX200 is AC wireless speeds about 10 times the speeds, plus has bluetooth.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Before I go make the Wifi card amendment, has anyone any other improvement suggestions?
The only other thing I would suggest would be adding a small 250Gb SATA SSD which will greatly improve render times if your software can utilise a scratch drive.

Otherwise it looks pretty perfect!

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah I'd put another M.2 in to save your games on the 1TB PCS one will do fine
What would be the benefit of a second M.2?

I would normally just save any games to my secondary HDD which is the 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA in this case.
Would it save wear and tear on the secondary HDD so my files aren't at risk?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The benefit of a second M.2 is if you ever need a clean install of windows your games wont be affected and they'll also load a lot faster than they would from your HDD

A normal HDD like the Barracuda is more suited to files that don't need to load fast such as photos, videos etc

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
The only other thing I would suggest would be adding a small 250Gb SATA SSD which will greatly improve render times if your software can utilise a scratch drive.

Otherwise it looks pretty perfect!
I will only be using my machine for creating the animation performance and not rendering but that is a good time for the future if need to start rending on my machine.
I have not heard of doing this before, I will look into it so I will at least have an idea of where to start if I do.

Thanks for giving it your seal of approval @SpyderTracks

john coomey872

Bronze Level Poster
The benefit of a second M.2 is if you ever need a clean install of windows your games wont be affected and they'll also load a lot faster than they would from your HDD

A normal HDD like the Barracuda is more suited to files that don't need to load fast such as photos, videos etc
This is an good point, that said I usually only keep 1 or 2 games on my system at a time. I am not a big gamer but I do like to unwind with some PUBG, Doom or Splinter Cell is I am feeling nostalgic.

But as this is mostly a machine for work, as I understand it the applications I use will be tied into the operating system so will probably need to be reinstalled anyway. Ill look in to it. I could be wrong.