RAM Speeds

Surreal

Hi

I have been looking to change the RAM on my PC from 3200mhz over to 3600mhz but I'm not sure if the extra speed on the RAM would actually be useful at all or not.

I will be using the PC mainly for high end gaming.

Is anyone able to please advise if it would be worth it to change to a higher RAM speed?

MrWilson

Godlike
There is a benefit from using 3600mhz with the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs for gaming.
The RAM used in this benchmark is different to the Corsair RAM provided by PCS. PCS use 3200mhz CL16 and 3600mhz CL18 RAM. Due to the differing CAS latency you won't see a substantial performance increase in gaming. However, in productivity tasks, particularly audio production, the increased RAM speed will boost performance.

Surreal

Thanks both. Looks like the difference is negligible and not really worth the extra money.

I have, however, come across a bit of information stating that for a Ryzen CPU like mine (5800x) performance would improve if I filled out the RAM slots (4x 8gb dimms).

Would the performance increase be worth it to do this as 32gb of RAM seems excessive to me?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks both. Looks like the difference is negligible and not really worth the extra money.

I have, however, come across a bit of information stating that for a Ryzen CPU like mine (5800x) performance would improve if I filled out the RAM slots (4x 8gb dimms).

Would the performance increase be worth it to do this as 32gb of RAM seems excessive to me?
No, there would be no particular benefit going for 4 x 8Gb. 4 x 4Gb would make sense, but it's not going to net you any meaningful performance while doubling the RAM quantity unecessarily.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

What is your aim with the system? What are the shortcomings of it?

3200 vs 3600 can make a difference if done right (not with the PCS options available). 2x8GB vs 4x8GB can make an impact too, it has to be dual rank RAM though.

Regardless of the choices made above for performance...... you would need to measure synthetically to actually see the difference.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If it's for gaming the difference between 3200Mhz and 3600Mhz is negligible, you'll really barely notice any difference at all. I think measured it's like 3 or 4 frames