Ram Upgrade??

Stappa

Enthusiast
Hi, I've been running my PCS system for 5 years with several upgrades........I now want to upgrade the Ram,I'm currently running the 6gb that came with the PC,and I want to double it to 12GB.......My Mobo is the ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI. and my ram is the 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)

How and what do I upgrade the ram with?? I guess replace the 3x2gb sticks with 3x4gb sticks??I cant find any identical ram as its 5 years old so what would u guys do??

Plz advise(my original spec below)

PS I tried the Official PCS upgrade system but got the following message 'No amendment options are available for this item'.

CaseANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved
Overclocked CPUOverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz @ max 3.8GHz)
OC SettingsShow/Hide
MotherboardASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX580 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DX 11 (PRE-ORDER)
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Graphics CardNONE
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Graphics CardNONE
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Hard Disk120GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Hard Disk1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
RAIDNONE
1[SUP]st[/SUP] DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card ReaderINTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W TX SERIES (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£99)
Processor CoolingTITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Thermal PasteARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound CardONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
ModemNONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Floppy Disk DriveNONE
FirewireNONE
TV CardNONE
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office SoftwareNO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
MonitorNONE
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] MonitorNONE
Monitor CablesNONE
Eyefinity Adapter / GeForce 3D VisionNONE
Keyboard & MouseNONE
MouseNONE
SpeakersNONE
WebcamNONE
HeadsetsNONE
Surge ProtectionNONE
PrinterNONE
External Hard DriveNONE
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Home InstallationNONE
Data RecoveryNONE
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Last edited:

Stappa

Enthusiast
my mobo has 6 slots and I assumed that they should be fitted in sets of 3?? hence tri band? when i configured PC the options were for 3x2gb/3x4gb etc

The mobo spec sheet also says 'memory channel triple'? so I assumed 3 modules ie 3x2gb/3x4gb etc

Last edited:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
my mobo has 6 slots and I assumed that they should be fitted in sets of 3?? hence tri band?

Is your motherboard set up for tri band? Most are dual band enabled, but not tri band.

I would just get a couple 8GB sticks to replace the stuff you already have

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster

Just had a look at it on asus website and it is, so fair enough :p The RAM doesn't have to run in tri band, so can run single channel, meaning 2x8GB sticks would still work, or you could go with 3x4GB sticks. 3GB sticks aren't common any more

Rakk

The Awesome
Just had a look at it on asus website and it is, so fair enough :p

Yep, the i7-900 series was all set to use tri-channel RAM, it was something new they were trying - but obviously didn't do as well as hoped given the i7-900 series was the only series that used it.