Ram

MattyH

Looking for some advice, I currently have 8gb of KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz however i'm considering increasing this to 16gb.

I had assumed the best thing to do would be to get another 8gb of the same RAM however I can't find it anywhere now. Would I be better buying 8gb ram and running it alongside what I currently have or removing what is currently in there and putting in 2x8gb's of different ram, and which would you suggest buying?

I have an ASUS® P8Z77-V motherboard.

Thanks

MattyH

Yeah, i've looked to upgrade through this site and the option for the same ram wasn't there and other sites say it has been discontinued.

ricbai

Bronze Level Poster
It's my belief (so feel free to correct me), that RAM (like video cards) will only run at the speed of the slowest component. So if you were to get 3000Mhz RAM, it'll only run at 1600Mhz as that's the maximum speed of your slowest RAM: for "faster RAM", you'll need to remove all your existing RAM and replace it.

Spuff

Expert
It's my belief (so feel free to correct me), that RAM (like video cards) will only run at the speed of the slowest component. So if you were to get 3000Mhz RAM, it'll only run at 1600Mhz as that's the maximum speed of your slowest RAM: for "faster RAM", you'll need to remove all your existing RAM and replace it.

I think the OP knows that. He's asking whether he should get more of the same RAM or change it all to a current model of RAM.
I don't really know that the answer to that. I don't think you would notice any benefit from updating the RAM, but I'm not sure. If there was any benefit I don't know if it would be worth the extra money. Personally when I added 8GB more RAM I opted for more Hyper Genesis (which had been discontinued) rather than change it all to Hyper Fury.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think the OP knows that. He's asking whether he should get more of the same RAM or change it all to a current model of RAM.
I don't really know that the answer to that. I don't think you would notice any benefit from updating the RAM, but I'm not sure. If there was any benefit I don't know if it would be worth the extra money. Personally when I added 8GB more RAM I opted for more Hyper Genesis (which had been discontinued) rather than change it all to Hyper Fury.

I've got 8gb hyper x genesis and 16gb hyper x impact both 1600mhz in mine running fine, there's no compatibility issue with the newer impact RAM. I don't think there's any benefit as Spuff says, but there hasn't been any compatibility issues.