Random Crashing - BCCode: 116

nicmcc

Hi Guys

Upgraded to a 980gx and everything has been going great the last month until this week.

I keep getting random crashes normally about 5-15mins into any game but can use windows etc indefinitely.

did blue screen view and its pretty consistent:
http://www.meltatotheface.com/wp-content/Crash List.html <-- loads of info here

dxgkrnl.sys looks to be doing something?

I'v run FurMark for over 30mins and it had no issues and the GFX temp was consistent at 70ish, so not confident its a heating issue plus the 980 uses less power than my previous gfx card so doubt its a power issue either?

Here is what windows says in the solution thing on reboot:

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	2057

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:	116
  BCP1:	FFFFFA800B4A1010
  BCP2:	FFFFF8800F9E8828
  BCP3:	FFFFFFFFC000009A
  BCP4:	0000000000000004
  OS Version:	6_1_7601
  Service Pack:	1_0
  Product:	256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\112914-9032-01.dmp
  C:\Users\nick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-54584-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Tried re-installing gfx drivers, running the latest nivdia 344.75

ay idea guys :( spent all this money on a new GFX card and it was great and starting to regret upgrading now.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That BCCode is a Video_TDR_Error so the graphics card or driver are the probable suspects. Have you done a clean reinstall of the NVIDIA driver? Boozad of this parish published a guide some time ago, see below.

Download whatever driver you want to use to your desktop.

Next, go to Windows update and set it to 'check for updates but let me decide what to install' that will keep windows from automatically installing it's video driver.

Next go to C:/Nvidia, open the folder and you should see a folder named Display driver. Inside that folder you should see a folder for every driver you have ever installed. They will be names 320.49 and such. Delete every one of those folders, but do not delete the display driver folder, just the ones inside.

Next go to control panel > uninstall programs. Uninstall all of the Nvidia display programs, but this is important, uninstall the display driver last. Uninstall the Nvidia update, Phys X, 3D drivers (few people use them), Nvidia HDMI, and the Nvidia update (it does not work anyway). Last uninstall the display driver. You will be told to reboot, do so.

When you log back on, windows will install a display adaptor, that is OK. Open your driver that you have downloaded from Nvidia, agree to terms, do not select express install, select custom install. Make sure the 'clean install' check box is selected and uncheck everything except the display driver and PhysX, then install. You will have to reboot after that.

That will be the cleanest install you can get. You can then set windows update back to whatever you like.

If that doesn't work I would contact PCS or whoever you bought the graphics card from because it could be faulty.

nicmcc

Just as a follow up this did the trick! no crashes since the exact process above. I tried my own reintall before and must not cover some key point anyhoo working :D cheers

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just as a follow up this did the trick! no crashes since the exact process above. I tried my own reintall before and must not cover some key point anyhoo working :D cheers

Glad it's sorted! Boozad deserves the +rep since it's his instructions. :)