Random question why computer freezes during video playback..

Corfate

Author Level
Im not looking for a fix or a solution, as i have a new computer on order from PCS, but i was wondering, why does my Dell Inspiron 531 freeze whenever i watch YouTube Video's on full screen, also with iTunes. My computer gets the blue screen of death when i watch anything in full screen. When i leave my computer untouched for around 15 mins, when i wiggle the mouse it also freezes...

Like i said, i don't need a solution, but im just curious to why it does :)

Corfate

Author Level
Erm, they used to be higher than they are not.. (used to be able to play L4D on medium graphics, can no longer play it at all)
It suffered from a corrupt C:drive or something, so the tech person had to remove it, probably why the specification has suffered.

From what i can find now, it has:
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
AMD Athlon 86 X2 Duel Core Processor 5000+
1.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Thats all i can find :/ But yeah, it wasn't designed to be a gaming machine as you can tell.. ;)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think it's the RAM there, I'm pretty clunky old vista requires a large amount of RAM, probably 2/3 of 1gb

Use CPU-Z to give me a more detailed spec of it. I reckon it's DDR2 RAM so if you have any sticks of it spare, put them in and try. It may be worth getting 1gb more to sell it on for more

Corfate

Author Level
Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Core speed: 2612.0 MHz
Multiplier: x 13.0
Bus Speed: 200.9 MHz
HT Link: 1004.6

No Idea what any of that jargon means.. :l

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
What about the rest of the tabs? It's definitely not the processor by the looks of it, it looks like it can do everyday work including videos etc, it's higher clock speed than my laptop one and that does me fine with 3gb ram, what's the L1/L2/L3 cache size? And everything else

Corfate

Author Level
L1 D-Cache
Size: 64 KBytes x2
Descriptor: 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 I-Cache Same as L1 D-Cache
L2 Cache
Size: 512 KBytes x2
Descriptor: 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

I would put all the others but theres just so much stuff to type down :l

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Can I have just the ram stuff then? Everything there is for ram.

What about saving screenshots and putting them on imageshack then copying the links

Corfate

Author Level
Can I have just the ram stuff then? Everything there is for ram.

What about saving screenshots and putting them on imageshack then copying the links

Good idea! Why didn't i think of that... 2 shakes and i'll have them uploaded :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Definitely looks like the ram causing the problem, is this a laptop/mini pc I can't remember.

If you want a decent second pc then I recommend getting a second stick of ram perhaps even a 2gb stick then your pc will be ok

Corfate

Author Level
Definitely looks like the ram causing the problem, is this a laptop/mini pc I can't remember.

If you want a decent second pc then I recommend getting a second stick of ram perhaps even a 2gb stick then your pc will be ok

It's a Desktop :) (The normal sized tower)

What would i use the second PC for? Im not going to be throwing it away, but im curious as to what people use them for ;)
Also, how much would 2GB of DDR2 RAM be? I was thinking i could practice upgrading this pc, instead of my new one, so i get some skills for the future :)

EDIT: Would i need to remove the RAM thats already in there, or just plug in the new stick next to it?

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
Im thinking i might use it for practice at upgrading eg. taking it fully appart then reassembling it to see how everything works, and then use it as a back up for all my data etc :)

Ps. I'll give you some rep now for all the help, before i forget! :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wouldn't completely disassemble it, maybe remove a few things, nothing major, I recommend trying Linux on it though got nothing to lose

You could remove DVD drive and that will give you a second on the new one then just put everything on a memory stick if you have one

Corfate

Author Level
Yeah, thats probably a good point... I'll most likely forget how to reassemble it.. :cool: I'll look into Linux :)

What would having two DVD drives on my new one help with? Their both bog standard DVD drives :(