Random Restarts - No Clue What`s causing It

steelf

For the last 8 months or so I`ve been getting random restarts with my PC. These can happen while playing games, surfing the web, watching movies or streams, playing music or just generally while working on it. There just seems to be no common trigger for this to happen. My son`s got the same PC as me & I`ve taken everything out of my rig & put it in his except the motherboard. All my components work in his PC & it doesn`t crash at all, but when I put them back in mine the problem starts again. I`ve run CPU, RAM & GPU tests & everything is coming up fine on them.
Could it be a problem with the mobo as that`s the only piece of hardware that I haven`t moved?
My PC is as follows:

Case SHARKOON VG4-W GAMING CASE (Green LED)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 2 x DVI, HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk 2TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB Samsung HD204UI
SSD Drive 250GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO
2 Disk Drives 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Event Viewer Report:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>5</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-07-22T13:40:37.645667100Z" />
<EventRecordID>59174</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>BackRoomBeastie</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I've run Windows Memory Diagnostic which didn't report any issues.
I've run the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool which again didn't report any issues.
In the BIOS, I've made sure all the recommended defaults are set.
I've disabled most things from the startup list, everything except Intel, Nvidia, Realtek and my Anti Virus.

If anyone can shed any light on this problem I`d really appreciate it as it`s driving me nuts as the shutdown & restart is so random.

Trampy

Hi there! May i ask how long after your initial start up does this happen? Also have you noticed any changes with the heat of the computer in general or any new beeps or sounds when starting the machine? Have you tried cleaning the components with either a soft bristled brush or compressed air?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The event you list is not a problem it's simply a symptom. Event code 41 just means that Windows did not shutdown properly.

Personally this smells much more like a software issue than a hardware one, in any case it's essential that you eliminate software as a potential cause before suspecting hardware. Windows is configured to automatically restart if a 'system failure' is detected. What constitutes a system failure is pretty broad, it could be a failure in a driver for example, so the first thing I'd suggest is that you check that all drivers are up to date (and properly installed). I'd also suggest disconnecting all external devices (except mouse, monitor, and keyboard of course) to check that it's not an external device or driver causing the restarts.

If that doesn't help then the quickest way to check whether it's a software or hardware issue is to do a reinstall of Windows, all drivers and all Windows updates. Don't install anything else but see whether it randomly restarts in that pristine state, if it does then it's likely hardware.

Checking the temps and cleaning the dust and muck out is good advice. HWMonitor is a useful tool for checking your temperatures, get is (free) from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. Post your temps here if you like.

Let us know how you get one.

steelf

Thanks for getting back to me.
I`ve done all the driver updates, clean installs, cleaned & re-seated all hardware. I`ve not noticed any sudden temperature changes & nothings come up on any testing programs I`ve used, (MemTest, IntelBurnTest,
FurMark, GPU-Z, Core Temp etc).
I might have narrowed it down though; If I`m playing a Steam game, e.g. Fallout 4, it crashes like a drunken cyclist. Every 5-10 minutes. If I`m playing a U-Play game, e.g. Far Cry 4 it doesn`t & I managed to play for around 3hrs without a single crash. I`m going to reinstall Steam & see if that fixes the crashes.
I`ll keep you posted & see if this works.

steelf

Hi Trampy, it can crash after a few minutes or it might run for an hour the just restart. But I might have found the cause. I`ll keep you posted.

steelf

I thought because I had Steam installed on my 2TB HDD & not on my SSD that this was causing the restarts, but that`s not the case. I reinstalled Steams core files onto my SSD & put the game filles onto my HDD & it still crashed twice. Once while I was verifying my game files & once, 2mins into playing Fallout 4. I still think Steam`s causing the problem because when I turn Steam off I don`t appear to have these random restarts.
I shall persist.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I thought because I had Steam installed on my 2TB HDD & not on my SSD that this was causing the restarts, but that`s not the case. I reinstalled Steams core files onto my SSD & put the game filles onto my HDD & it still crashed twice. Once while I was verifying my game files & once, 2mins into playing Fallout 4. I still think Steam`s causing the problem because when I turn Steam off I don`t appear to have these random restarts.
I shall persist.

What version graphics driver do you have? Do you specify a clean install when updating it?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What version graphics driver do you have? Do you specify a clean install when updating it?

The following instructions on how to do a clean install of Nvidia drivers was created by another forum member, so I claim no credit for this....

Download whatever driver you want to use to your desktop.

It's best if you disconnect from the Internet during this process to prevent Windows Update from installing it's favoured driver.

Next go to C:/Nvidia, open the folder and you should see a folder named Display driver. Inside that folder you should see a folder for every driver you have ever installed. They will be names 320.49 and such. Delete every one of those folders, but do not delete the display driver folder, just the ones inside.

Next go to control panel > uninstall programs. Uninstall all of the Nvidia display programs, but this is important, uninstall the display driver last. Uninstall the Nvidia update, Phys X, 3D drivers (few people use them), Nvidia HDMI, and the Nvidia update (it does not work anyway). Last uninstall the display driver. You will be told to reboot, do so.

When you log back on, windows will install a display adaptor, that is OK. Open the driver that you have downloaded from Nvidia, agree to terms, do not select express install, select custom install. Make sure the 'clean install' check box is selected and uncheck everything except the display driver and PhysX, then install.

You will have to reboot after that. That will be the cleanest install you can get. You can then reconnect to the Internet.

steelf

I`ve got the latest drivers installed, but haven`t done a clean install. Will try that next. Have done a clean install of windows 10 64bit & it`s still crashing. All I`ve installed is Windows & my Nvidia Graphics Drivers! I haven`t even installed my mobo drivers from the disk in case that was causing it. Trying to narrow it down, but I`m inclined to think now that it`s a hardware problem, not software. I`m going to run my system without my back up HDD connected to see if that makes a difference. I reckon though I`m going to have to go through every piece of hardware before I find the cause.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I`ve got the latest drivers installed, but haven`t done a clean install. Will try that next. Have done a clean install of windows 10 64bit & it`s still crashing. All I`ve installed is Windows & my Nvidia Graphics Drivers! I haven`t even installed my mobo drivers from the disk in case that was causing it. Trying to narrow it down, but I`m inclined to think now that it`s a hardware problem, not software. I`m going to run my system without my back up HDD connected to see if that makes a difference. I reckon though I`m going to have to go through every piece of hardware before I find the cause.

The system won't work without chipset drivers installed.

steelf

I`ve done a complete clean install of Windows, again, & the only others drivers installed are chipset & SSD drivers. The first time i tried to go on the internet it crashed again. I have noticed that Windows actually installs most of my chipset drivers itself. When I put my MOBO disk in most of the drivers are already installed. I`m going to try installing windows but deny any updates until I`ve installed all my drivers manually. See if that makes a difference.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I`ve done a complete clean install of Windows, again, & the only others drivers installed are chipset & SSD drivers. The first time i tried to go on the internet it crashed again. I have noticed that Windows actually installs most of my chipset drivers itself. When I put my MOBO disk in most of the drivers are already installed. I`m going to try installing windows but deny any updates until I`ve installed all my drivers manually. See if that makes a difference.

Don't use the drivers off the disc as they'll be outdated, you need to download them from the manufacturers.

If you're on creators update, this may well be a network driver conflict.