Random stutters every now and again

Dm1

Hi all,

I received my PC last week, and I'm battling an issue with occasional stutters. Imagine holding the space bar on a youtube video for a view seconds, thats what in experiencing. The whole PC stutters which only lasts a couple seconds. It only seems to happen once a day, so its not life ending, but it bothers me because the PC is practically brand new.

I've tried updating windows, GPU drivers, chipset drivers, power settings, malware scans, trawling the event viewer for anything, but no luck. My next step would be reinstall windows, and failing that, sending it back on warranty.

Thanks.

Case PCS P209 ARGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingPCS FrostFlow 200 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserGoogle Chrome™

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do you still have bullguard installed? That needs to be fully uninstalled.

When you say you updated the chipset drivers, how did you do that, what method?

Can you take a screenshot of your windows update page and your device manager?

Dm1

Do you still have bullguard installed? That needs to be fully uninstalled.
I don't think it was put on, I couldn't find any trace of it
When you say you updated the chipset drivers, how did you do that, what method?
Sorry, what I meant to say was that they were already up to date.
Can you take a screenshot of your windows update page and your device manager?
1636304864992.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't think it was put on, I couldn't find any trace of it
It will be in running programs in the up arrow in bottom right? Or check if it's in "Add or remove programs"

Sorry, what I meant to say was that they were already up to date.
So you were updating through device manager?

You have updates waiting which need to be installed.

First install that, then manually install the latest chipset driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ok, what's the best way to do that?
That's what we've just been doing. Sorry I was in the middle of audio nirvana and got sidetracked!

So what keyboard and mouse do you use? Are they wireless?

Could you open powershell as administrator and run the following command:

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table –AutoSize > $env:userprofile\documents\InstalledPrograms.txt

Then post that txt file which will be in your documents directory.

Dm1

I've a steelseries Rival 3, and an older basic lenovo keyboard, both wired.

Attachments

• InstalledPrograms.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 127

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've a steelseries Rival 3, and an older basic lenovo keyboard, both wired.
There's nothing unusual in your programs list which is good.

Wired keyboard and mouse also removes a problematic area.

The area I'd probably focus on would be temps, personally I wouldn't be comfortable with that cooler on that processor nor with that GPU in that case, they're all pointing towards possible thermal issues.

Could you install HWInfo the next day you're using the computer for an extended period, set it logging first thing and leave HWInfo running as you use it, it will then create a log and then if you get a period of stuttering, log the time it happens and we can cross reference it with component temps at that time

In HWInfo go to Sensor settings - Custom - Logged.

We'll need CPU Package, and GPU temps both logged.

Dm1

Not able to upload the whole log (too big), but I've attached screenshots of the CPU package and GPU temps below. There was a stutter, and it ocurred around 2:10-2:12 mark
1636330840189.png
1636330861343.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not able to upload the whole log (too big), but I've attached screenshots of the CPU package and GPU temps below. There was a stutter, and it ocurred around 2:10-2:12 mark
View attachment 30381View attachment 30382
Ok, so it doesn't look like it's temp related.

The next thing to do would be to open resource monitor, keep it open by the side, and sort CPU by CPU, Disk by Write and Memory by Hard Faults, take a screenshot as soon after the stuttering has occured.

1636331328546.png

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table –AutoSize > $env:userprofile\documents\InstalledPrograms.txt
That may not work on all systems, it pre-supposes that the Documents folder has not been moved ($env:userprofile\documents points to the default Documents folder location). It would be safer (and more universal) to use this instead...
Code:
Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table –AutoSize > C:\InstalledPrograms.txt
...and find the file in the root of the C:\ drive.

barlew

Godlike
Could you download DPC Latency Checker and leave it running for long enough so that it captures a time frame which captures the stutter then post a screenshot here.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Random question but are you using DP or HDMI, i had some very weird behaviour on my new PC (screen drops, screen hangs) when using the DP cable that came with my LG monitor, i swapped to an aftermarket model and haven't had a problem since, YMMV of course.

Last edited:

Dm1

Thanks for the support everyone, it's much appreciated. I switched to a different monitor and it seemed to do the trick. I opted to refund the PC and start again as (courtsey of Spydertracks) my build is not as refined as it could be, so I'll be back soon looking for advice :D

Random question but are you using DP or HDMI, i had some very weird behaviour on my new PC (screen drops, screen hangs) when using the DP cable that came with my LG monitor, i swapped to an aftermarket model and haven't had a problem since, YMMV of course.
not exactly, but close! My monitor had no direct HDMI input so I've been using a DVI - HDMI cable, I switched to a monitor with a HDMI port and since using that seems to have stopped the issue. At least I'll know for next time!