Re-format bit locked drive without the encryption key?

Louiss97

Hi All.
As a reward for being a good boy, my company has given me a new laptop. In fact, we get them every 2 years whether we want them or not. Something to do with the warranty and support service I gather.

Usually our old ones go back for recycling - and they literally just shred the whole machine , but due to COVID the service is not operating we've been told to dispose of them locally at a regional office if possible - or just to hang on to them. instrument ringtones

The thing is, my previous laptop is still really good. It has an i7 processor, 1TB M2 SSD, FHD touchscreen 4 hours battery life, the lot. I'm keen therefore to re-purpose it until I get told to hand it in, so thought about doing a fresh install and using it as a family laptop for a while.

The drive is Bit Locked, but I am not interested in retaining any data on it, as I transferred everything over when my new laptop arrived. Before I shell out on a cable to connect the drive to my personal PC, is it possible to format a drive without access to the decryption key?
Sonneries d'alarmes, Musique relaxante

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does diskpart's clean work on bitlocked drives I wonder? Or diskpart's delete partition override? I've never tried but it's worth a go.

If not, boot a Linux live USB stick and used gparted to delete all partitions.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yo
Hi All.
As a reward for being a good boy, my company has given me a new laptop. In fact, we get them every 2 years whether we want them or not. Something to do with the warranty and support service I gather.

Usually our old ones go back for recycling - and they literally just shred the whole machine , but due to COVID the service is not operating we've been told to dispose of them locally at a regional office if possible - or just to hang on to them.

The thing is, my previous laptop is still really good. It has an i7 processor, 1TB M2 SSD, FHD touchscreen 4 hours battery life, the lot. I'm keen therefore to re-purpose it until I get told to hand it in, so thought about doing a fresh install and using it as a family laptop for a while.

The drive is Bit Locked, but I am not interested in retaining any data on it, as I transferred everything over when my new laptop arrived. Before I shell out on a cable to connect the drive to my personal PC, is it possible to format a drive without access to the decryption key?
I believe @ubuysa is on to something here:

Press SHIFT-F10 or hit 'repair' in from the Windows installation to open up the command line, then execute the diskpart command and delete the partition, e.g.: list disk, select disk 0 or any other identifying the correct disk, list partition, select partition 1, or the encrypted one , in case there are multiple partitions, then delete partition override.

You can then resume the install procedure normally to repartition and format the drive.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Has your company locked down the bios as well? The piece of junk uber lightweight HP laptop I've got from work, just boots straight into Bitlocker and if i try to access the bios in the 1 nano second window it just flans me 😭. Just wanted to have a little look around, honest

Gomjaba

Bronze Level Poster
It's an M2 so you'd have to find a PC with a controller. Anyway, if it's a good machine and Essentially free, I'd just eBay an m2, Swap them and keep the old one in case they do want it back.