RE: Mic/Audio Problem

Maturak

RE: Mic/Audio Problem

Hey there guys,

I want to start by saying this problem is really weird. And I've never heard or had anything like it before.

So basically, yesterday my microphone stopped working. I tried multiple different headsets/mics, but no one could hear me still. The speakers and sound is working fine although. So first I checked my drivers, and default devices etc. All good. Then I decided to go on my "Realtek HD Audio Manager" and what i found next was really surprising. So what I decided to do was to put playback sound from my microphone. When i put my volume up to 100 I can hear people speaking, like the radio or Olympics. I have no idea how to fix this, I also have no idea how this has happened? Surely it isn't a virus or anything like that? I haven't encountered any other problems, and i've always had Trend Micro running. The weird thing too is, the sound change when i put the volume up. So once its 100, i can hear the radio or something like it. So that means, the microphone is picking up on the radio? Someone please help me!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey there guys,

I want to start by saying this problem is really weird. And I've never heard or had anything like it before.

So basically, yesterday my microphone stopped working. I tried multiple different headsets/mics, but no one could hear me still. The speakers and sound is working fine although. So first I checked my drivers, and default devices etc. All good. Then I decided to go on my "Realtek HD Audio Manager" and what i found next was really surprising. So what I decided to do was to put playback sound from my microphone. When i put my volume up to 100 I can hear people speaking, like the radio or Olympics. I have no idea how to fix this, I also have no idea how this has happened? Surely it isn't a virus or anything like that? I haven't encountered any other problems, and i've always had Trend Micro running. The weird thing too is, the sound change when i put the volume up. So once its 100, i can hear the radio or something like it. So that means, the microphone is picking up on the radio? Someone please help me!

First thing; what else changed yesterday? If something was working and now it's not, then something has changed. What did you do? New software, new hardware, new config, new drivers, new updates (especially Windows updates) etc.? If the answer is yes to any of those then roll back to the most recent system restore point.

Of course it is possible that you've had a sudden hardware glitch, but they are exceedingly rare, it's much more likely to be a software or configuration problem. Is the 'radio or something like it' on in your room or a nearby room? Do you still hear it if you disconnect from the Internet?

Maturak

Yeah that's the thing, i don't recall anything changing yesterday. And yes I actually disconnected the ethernet cable (no wireless card) and the radio was still running. Meaning therefore, its actual radio? I might roll back the most recent system point, but i've read elsewhere online aswell that its because the PC isn't grounded properly? By the radio I mean the sound is coming from my PC's speakers/headset only.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yeah that's the thing, i don't recall anything changing yesterday. And yes I actually disconnected the ethernet cable (no wireless card) and the radio was still running. Meaning therefore, its actual radio? I might roll back the most recent system point, but i've read elsewhere online aswell that its because the PC isn't grounded properly? By the radio I mean the sound is coming from my PC's speakers/headset only.

Does it till come from the speakers when they are disconnected from the PC? It does sound as though something is acting as a radio antenna, I've seen this before with open wire telephone lines (yes, that was a long time ago). Try moving external cables around (power cables as well) even coil up the extra cable. It's possible it's one of the external cables acting as the antenna.

It's strange that it's just started though. Can you find out whether anyone in your home or building has changed anything recently (installing powerline adapters for example). I don't think it's necessarily a fault with your rig or setup, it sounds like bad luck. If nothing in your home or building has changed recently I would just keep moving stuff around to try to eliminate the interference. It could of course be inductive interference rather than radio interference.

Your PC chassis and PSU should be grounded via the mains plug for safety reasons, but it might be worth checking that this is so.

Do please let us know what the cause is when you do locate it! :)

Maturak

You were on the right path ubuysa! I finally came to figure out what exactly it was. Turned out to be a broken AUX extension cable. A 3.5mm AUX cord that was splitting into the mic/audio from my headset. I removed the extension cord, and i no longer had any static noise/radio playing from my microphone's playback to my speakers. Really happy to have finally figured it out. Thanks for the help!