Reboot and select proper boot device

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Morning all,
Today my computer crashed, blue screen first. Since then when turning it on I get the message "reboot and select proper boot device". I tried pressing F8 or going into bios but my SSD (primary drive) is not available only my other drives. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the sata cables on the SSD as well as trying other sata ports in the motherboard and I experience the same problem. Is there something else I could try before contacting technical support?
Thanks for any help

steaky360

Suppose (long shot) but it might be worth powering down and switching off the PSU to ensure the PC has properly powered down (I assume you've already done this though, as you've swapped the SATA cables around) have you tried other power cables too just to make sure its not that and different points on the PSU?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Try using the cables from my caviar green, same result. I also tried a clean installation but windows doesn't detect the SSD either.

steaky360

Tech Support mate :( I've got nothing else really. I would imagine if it cant be detected by the bios there won't be much you can do :( Sorry.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You seem to be able to boot the Windows install DVD, so do you have a spare hard disk you can put in there (where the SSD is) and do a quick install of basic Windows on there and check that it will boot? Then you'll pretty much know for sure it's the SSD itself.

Please tell me you've not been running an SSD without regular backups?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
aww noes. If you aint done it already mate,

bios, advanced, boot and look for your ssd. Also when it boots do you get any beeps from the mobo? and any red mobo leds on solid?

Check the connections on the same sata power cable , use a different sata power cable on the same psu port, then use a the same cable on a different port on the psu. Try and rule out a faulty port on the psu, had this before.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
It does sound like the SSD is up the spout. I'd run a Ubuntu USB and see if you can retrieve your data off it.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Cheers for all the replies.
I could do a clean installation of Windows on my caviar black but then what should I do to try to recover my data? I afraid the last back up was last month and the essay was completed over the weekend. The SSD is not recognized on the bios, by pressing f8 or when attempting a clean installation of windows.
On the bright side a 5 minutes call to PCS (Many thanks to Jack )got my RMA sorted and a brand new SSD will be dispatched today so I will get it by tomorrow. I am just looking at ways to recover my essay.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Can you not try plugging it into a USB caddy and plugging that into a different PC/laptop, you might be lucky and find you can read it even if you can't boot from it?

I run SyncbackSE (paid for, though they do a free version) from http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html. I have a daily schedule set up that backs up the active data partition on my SSD to the HDD every evening.

I am working/classes until 9pm today and not sure if I will be able to buy or get a USB caddy to try it.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Can you not try plugging it into a USB caddy and plugging that into a different PC/laptop, you might be lucky and find you can read it even if you can't boot from it?

I run SyncbackSE (paid for, though they do a free version) from http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html. I have a daily schedule set up that backs up the active data partition on my SSD to the HDD every evening.
I managed to get a USB caddy, is there a software I need to be able to access the SSD?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I managed to get a USB caddy, is there a software I need to be able to access the SSD?

I've no idea, I've never done that. :)

I'd have though it would look just like a hard disk to the OS, I don;t think you need any other software.

kruppsy

Master
Yea assuming its not completely deaded, it should just be plug and play. I had an old IDE HDD which i got a USB caddy for and it was recognised by windows no problem. I assume the same will apply here. Good luck dude.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I've no idea, I've never done that. :)

I'd have though it would look just like a hard disk to the OS, I don;t think you need any other software.

I managed to retrieve the files using the caddy!! thank you for the idea :)
I formatted the SSD and I am able to connect it to my desktop. I am running a full diagnostic scan using the Intel SSD toolbox, PCS was very kind to send me a new one. Is this a sign that the SSD may fail at some later stage so I should send it back or do you think it was a one off? I am buying the software you suggested just to create a backup of my stuff.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I managed to retrieve the files using the caddy!! thank you for the idea :)
I formatted the SSD and I am able to connect it to my desktop. I am running a full diagnostic scan using the Intel SSD toolbox, PCS was very kind to send me a new one. Is this a sign that the SSD may fail at some later stage so I should send it back or do you think it was a one off? I am buying the software you suggested just to create a backup of my stuff.

Great news! :)

SyncBack is really good, it syncs the backup so it only has to copy stuff that's changed making the backup very quick. The paid-for version is faster than the free one and it also handles Unicode characters in file names, that's the main reason I have it - I have a few Greek file names.

I would ask PCS f you can hang on to the new SSD for a few weeks (unused of course) to give you time to find out whether yours is failing in some way.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Great news! :)

SyncBack is really good, it syncs the backup so it only has to copy stuff that's changed making the backup very quick. The paid-for version is faster than the free one and it also handles Unicode characters in file names, that's the main reason I have it - I have a few Greek file names.

I would ask PCS f you can hang on to the new SSD for a few weeks (unused of course) to give you time to find out whether yours is failing in some way.

The way it works is by giving them my old SSD and getting the new one at the same time. I have changed the delivery time for Monday, will try to give them a call to update them with the issue. The SSD intel utility application run indicated that everything was fine but I have the same problems of occassionally freezing screen (once since last night).

Regarding Syncback, you recommended the SE version? Less than £30?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The way it works is by giving them my old SSD and getting the new one at the same time. I have changed the delivery time for Monday, will try to give them a call to update them with the issue. The SSD intel utility application run indicated that everything was fine but I have the same problems of occassionally freezing screen (once since last night).

Regarding Syncback, you recommended the SE version? Less than £30?

Yes, that's the one I have.