Reboot and select proper boot device

PokerFace

Banned
Can you not try plugging it into a USB caddy and plugging that into a different PC/laptop, you might be lucky and find you can read it even if you can't boot from it?

I run SyncbackSE (paid for, though they do a free version) from http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html. I have a daily schedule set up that backs up the active data partition on my SSD to the HDD every evening.

I managed to retrieve the files using the caddy!! thank you for the idea :)
I formatted the SSD and I am able to connect it to my desktop. I am running a full diagnostic scan using the Intel SSD toolbox, PCS was very kind to send me a new one. Is this a sign that the SSD may fail at some later stage so I should send it back or do you think it was a one off? I am buying the software you suggested just to create a backup of my stuff.

What's the difference between a caddy and the pc? Why could Keynes access the SSD from the caddy?

I agree with tom, hang on to the new SSD if you can.

Glad you got your essay back!

Note to self: If it's important... back it up! If it's VERY important... back up the back up, and keep it in a different location!!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What's the difference between a caddy and the pc?
The caddy has a sata connection and a power supply. It allows me to connect to any other computer/laptop externally by using a USB connection.
Why could Keynes access the SSD from the caddy?
I don't know, I tried different sata ports on my pc and nothing worked. I formatted the SSD and now it seems fine but not sure whether I should send it back or not.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What's the difference between a caddy and the pc? Why could Keynes access the SSD from the caddy?

I agree with tom, hang on to the new SSD if you can.

Glad you got your essay back!

Note to self: If it's important... back it up! If it's VERY important... back up the back up, and keep it in a different location!!

As keynes said, with a caddy you can plug any SATA drive into another computer. That's often a good way of accessing the data that's on there or running data recovery tools on there, on a computer that you know to be working just fine.

Your note to self is a good one. You can't have too many backups. :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
As keynes said, with a caddy you can plug any SATA drive into another computer. That's often a good way of accessing the data that's on there or running data recovery tools on there, on a computer that you know to be working just fine.

Your note to self is a good one. You can't have too many backups. :)

Ubuysa thanks again for the advice on the programme. I have backed up plenty of my stuff, is it possible to use the software to clone the primary drive?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ubuysa thanks again for the advice on the programme. I have backed up plenty of my stuff, is it possible to use the software to clone the primary drive?

No. SyncBack is a file-by-file backup tool and it won't be able to copy the locked Windows files. I use Macrium Reflect for taking complete images of the Windows drive. You can mount a REflect image as a virtual drive should you need to access individual files. Get the free copy of Reflect (in the link) you don't need the paid-for one.

T

TheGeeza

You have probably already tried this and I may be way off but I had this same problem a few months ago with an older SSD. Have you tried clearing the cmos? That worked for me. Let me know how it goes.
Ah, never mind. Just saw that the problem has been solved. Glad you fixed it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
No. SyncBack is a file-by-file backup tool and it won't be able to copy the locked Windows files. I use Macrium Reflect for taking complete images of the Windows drive. You can mount a REflect image as a virtual drive should you need to access individual files. Get the free copy of Reflect (in the link) you don't need the paid-for one.

Could you please tell me the difference between cloning and imaging? My understanding is that cloning copies everything from one drive to the other and I should be able to run the OS from the cloned drive. Imaging is similar to cloning but compressing the files? The only way to clone to another drive is by overwriting the destination drive?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Could you please tell me the difference between cloning and imaging? My understanding is that cloning copies everything from one drive to the other and I should be able to run the OS from the cloned drive. Imaging is similar to cloning but compressing the files? The only way to clone to another drive is by overwriting the destination drive?

Cloning creates an exact copy on another drive, it's for creating an exact (and bootable) copy of a drive. The destination drive will be overwritten, though it might be possible to clone individual partitions, I've never tried that myself.

Imaging creates a file (or a group of files) that contain a compressed copy of the drive's data. Imaging is really a backup tool. With Macrium Reflect (and Acronis I believe, and possibly similar products) you can mount an image as a virtual drive so that you can copy individual files out of an image for example.

BTW. Macrium Reflect can also clone drives should you want to.

simcoo

If you've got a SATA to USB conversion cable (my SSD came with one of these when I bought it seperately) it might be worth connecting the old SSD via USB when you've got the new SSD up and running ...

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Cloning creates an exact copy on another drive, it's for creating an exact (and bootable) copy of a drive. The destination drive will be overwritten, though it might be possible to clone individual partitions, I've never tried that myself.

Imaging creates a file (or a group of files) that contain a compressed copy of the drive's data. Imaging is really a backup tool. With Macrium Reflect (and Acronis I believe, and possibly similar products) you can mount an image as a virtual drive so that you can copy individual files out of an image for example.

BTW. Macrium Reflect can also clone drives should you want to.

I have my doubts with cloning, not because I don't trust your suggestion :) but I was afraid I may messed up somehow but the programme you suggested was pretty straigh forward. I cloned the primary drive and then change the boot priority. Pretty quick, thanks for your help.