Recoil 16" vr capability?

Flan

Hi,
So i am wondering..
I got the top possible spec for the recoil 16 ordered and only really now thought about vr capability. I have a quest 2 and used to connect it to my current pc via usb-c.

But the recoil 16" doesnt have a usb-c port does it...

My question is whether the thunderbolt port will work fine for connecting to the quest 2 or not and would anyone be able to test this for me?

Flan

In theory, the Quest should work with a Thunderbolt port, according to Reddit that is:

Yes i did look at reddit and stuff but all of them are talking about thunderbolt 3 which the recoil 16 has thunderbolt 4 and id say its backwards compatible but id rather if someone was able to test it for me on any of the recoil series or one that has a thunderbolt 4 port.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes i did look at reddit and stuff but all of them are talking about thunderbolt 3 which the recoil 16 has thunderbolt 4 and id say its backwards compatible but id rather if someone was able to test it for me on any of the recoil series or one that has a thunderbolt 4 port.
Thunderbolt 4 has USB C integrated, so should be compatible.

Flan

I did see concerning reports of it not working with official link cable even. And then i seen reports of it working aswell the internet seems divided in this situation. I will check myself once my order is delivered and will post here concerning the question. The reason im asking is that the laptop will be a games development work laptop and soon we will be working with a vr game. Which is no problem because my pc at work is vr capable but it would be great to test different systems and headsets especially with a laptop. I know other vr headsets would work fine as it uses hdmi and a usb port but was wondering about quest for the people that use quest as a pcvr. Just increases my workflow while out of the office you know.

Flan

Ok good and bad news.

Good news is it works absolutely great fps wise and all.

Bad news is it is a huge pain to get it there. Now it may be normal for gaming laptop owners and they are probably used to doing this but having to change all of oculus and steam vr applications and let me tell you there are a fair amount of them from integrated graphics to nvidia graphics. Huge pain and trying to find them all too. I never knew pcvr took so many applications to work right. It would probably be better if i had a valve headset or something but its like 8 applications i had to change altogether just to get it to work right. Not only that you have to change it for each game.

I also ended up having to put on the liquid cooler as temps were at the higher 90s and i wasnt feeling too comfortable with that.

Other than that though great experience and worked great through the thunderbolt 4.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok good and bad news.

Good news is it works absolutely great fps wise and all.

Bad news is it is a huge pain to get it there. Now it may be normal for gaming laptop owners and they are probably used to doing this but having to change all of oculus and steam vr applications and let me tell you there are a fair amount of them from integrated graphics to nvidia graphics. Huge pain and trying to find them all too. I never knew pcvr took so many applications to work right. It would probably be better if i had a valve headset or something but its like 8 applications i had to change altogether just to get it to work right. Not only that you have to change it for each game.

I also ended up having to put on the liquid cooler as temps were at the higher 90s and i wasnt feeling too comfortable with that.

Other than that though great experience and worked great through the thunderbolt 4.
The recoil has a MUX switch to enable the laptop to switch solely to the NVidia GPU, and disables switchable graphics.

You don't need to set gpu prioriy in nvidia settings, just enable the MUX from control center.

Flan

Yeah man surprisingly even with the liquid cooling on its like mid 80s on the gpu and i ended up taking off optimus cause the cpu was getting quite hot too so turned off optimus and added liquid cooling its not comfy temperatures for me personally but it would have to be okay and tested extensively otherwise they wouldnt release a mobile gpu of the caliber 😅 (fingers crossed)

Flan

The recoil has a MUX switch to enable the laptop to switch solely to the NVidia GPU, and disables switchable graphics.

You don't need to set gpu prioriy in nvidia settings, just enable the MUX from control center.
Do you mean the dgpu thing that disables optimus because i have that option enabled that turns it off. Otherwise i have no option called MUX

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If dGPU is set to on and Optimus is set to off then I'm not sure how any app can be using the iGPU, it should be disabled.

There's definitely a way to configure this so that it automatically opts for the dGPU though, I wouldn't be faffing around with individual settings per game.

Flan

If dGPU is set to on and Optimus is set to off then I'm not sure how any app can be using the iGPU, it should be disabled.

There's definitely a way to configure this so that it automatically opts for the dGPU though, I wouldn't be faffing around with individual settings per game.
I said i turned off optimus because of the temps on the cpu. But i like having optimus on because im not exactly using it as a gaming laptop. I work in games development and that is what i use it for so if im in visual studio i dont need my discrete graphics on all the time hence why i do it on a case by case scenario. Whenever i have time instead of disabling and enabling optimus i will just undervolt to see what temps i can get and enable optimus back on.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What I mean is, if Optimus is configured correctly you shouldn't need to schedule the VR gaming apps to use the dGPU :)

Flan

What I mean is, if Optimus is configured correctly you shouldn't need to schedule the VR gaming apps to use the dGPU :)
Thing is the recoil i got doesnt have advanced optimus im pretty sure. Just the regular hybrid optimus and im pretty sure it automatically set the oculus apps all as igpu because on the oculus vr home thingy it was running crazy terrible until i changed it via graphics. And then had problems with all the different apps between oculus and steamvr. I only tried blade and sorcery as it was an easy game to try to see graphical fidelity and stuff then was straight to trying vr development in unity and unreal mostly. Thats where i ran into most issues with the vr and had to change alot of apps around.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do you mean the dgpu thing that disables optimus because i have that option enabled that turns it off. Otherwise i have no option called MUX
MUX is the physical description of the circuit that bypasses any iGPU and just routed directly through the dGPU.

Optimus isn't a thing when that's enabled. That's not anything to do with Optimus it's as if the system has no igpu.

Flan

MUX is the physical description of the circuit that bypasses any iGPU and just routed directly through the dGPU.

Optimus isn't a thing when that's enabled. That's not anything to do with Optimus it's as if the system has no igpu.
There isnt any option of mux in either control center or settings is there something i am missing here?

Flan

There isnt any option of mux in either control center or settings is there something i am missing here?
I did also notice that my liquid cooling will connect via bluetooth but i had to use it in manual mode and couldnt change it via control center. So no clue what that is about
MUX is the circuit term, it's just a dGPU switch in control center.

Did you order with or without windows?
Oh yes dgpu setting yes i have that. That is what i was talking about disabling optimus. You confused me when you said it had nothing to do with optimus.

u07jrb

You should consider connecting your quest wirelessly to your PLC using virtual desktop. There are a few steps you have to go through to to get it working but its a wireless solution. I play nearly all my games using virtual desktop instead of connecting with the USB C or using the quest 2 direct. You get teh power of your pc wirelessly in your quest 2 and with no loss of quality (I have a dedicated 5ghz network for it). Not sure how good it is sharing the 5ghz network.