Recoil 4 17.3 advice

vladstate

Hello guys!

My laptop comes tomorrow and I am very excited for it but at the same time I want tl make sure I will take the best care of it. Do you have any tips or advice for what to do as soon as the laptop arrives? I will do all the windows updates but anything else? Any software to download or anything that will increase my laptop's life and performance? I already have a cooling pad from KLIM with 4 fans at 1200 RPM. Your advice is very much appreciated and thank you in advance!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Keeping it (and the battery) cool is the best thing you can do to prolong the life of both the laptop and the battery.

I would advise against opening any laptop by the corner, always lift the lid in the centre (to avoid stressing the panel).

Take your time with the initial Windows setup that will run as soon as you power on. Don't rush through it to play with your new toy. Make sure you understand the implication of every single choice you make here.

Do run Windows Update until no more updates are found, and then test everything - BEFORE you install any additional software or make any configuration changes. Test all ports, all features, all Fn keys (like turn the WiFi off etc.) to be sure it's all working properly. Make sure you can read and write to all drives, inc any optical drive. Check that your WiFi connects and stays connected, check the LAN cable connection too if you have a cable. You want to check that all is well whilst it's in it's pristine untouched and out-of-the-box state.

I would also suggest fully charging the battery with the laptop shutdown for 24 hours and then running on battery until it shuts down at the critical battery level (5%, it's in Power Options) even if that means leaving it on and unused (make sure it doesn't auto-sleep or auto-hibernate though). That will give you a benchmark for expected battery life for the future as well as check that your battery (and charger) are good. :)

vladstate

Thank you again @ubuysa, the laptop arrived today and damn, it is a beast. I have tested everything as you recommended and all keys work amazingly, I have installed all the windows updates and all the ports and it all works extremely well. Now I have to run the battery down as it came with 90% battery and will then charge it for 24 hours like you said.

Two questions if possible, when I turn the laptop on the fans go really loud for about 10 secs and then they stop and they're quiet, is that all normal? Also, do you recommend not letting the battery go over 60% for example if I am always plugged in so I can make the most out of the battery life? Thank you very much again!