Recoil II loud pop noise then shutdown.

ianwri

Whilst running a game (War Thunder) on my recoil II there was a loud single pop noise from the left hand side under the keyboard, as soon as this happened the laptop shutdown immediately. It was on charge at around 50%. I removed the charger, mouse and headphones. Then restarted. It started fine so I reattached the charger, mouse and headphones. It ran normally and I played my game for a while before I shut it all down manually.
anyone any idea what happened, is it safe to keep using? Thanks in advance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Whilst running a game (War Thunder) on my recoil II there was a loud single pop noise from the left hand side under the keyboard, as soon as this happened the laptop shutdown immediately. It was on charge at around 50%. I removed the charger, mouse and headphones. Then restarted. It started fine so I reattached the charger, mouse and headphones. It ran normally and I played my game for a while before I shut it all down manually.
anyone any idea what happened, is it safe to keep using? Thanks in advance.
Oooo, I would’t chance it, I’d immediately remove the underside cover and have a look over it to see if any burning can be seen.

Personally I’d also log it with PCS and get it checked out.

ianwri

Collected by DPD today and on its way to PCS. Still under some warranty whereby I get the labour for free but any parts I have to pay for. Told to expect a 4 week turnaround at the moment.

barlew

Godlike
Collected by DPD today and on its way to PCS. Still under some warranty whereby I get the labour for free but any parts I have to pay for. Told to expect a 4 week turnaround at the moment.

Hopefully you wont be waiting too long. Keep us updated on what PCS find.
The symptoms you describe sound like the death of a laptop so the fact you could restart and carry on using it as normal is a good sign but also very puzzling.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hopefully you wont be waiting too long. Keep us updated on what PCS find.
The symptoms you describe sound like the death of a laptop so the fact you could restart and carry on using it as normal is a good sign but also very puzzling.
Yeah, it is odd, you'd normally expect something like that to be fairly terminal, but that's why I thought it best to get it checked over properly just in case there's something that's damaged that will cause issues in the future.

ianwri

Ok, so it’s 7 days since my laptop was collected. I received an email today:
“We are currently processing your RMA (number *****) and we aim to dispatch your return as soon as possible. We are aware that your return has been with us for three days and we apologise for any inconvenience caused while your return is back with us.
As soon as we have any information on your return we will contact you by email and a text message if you entered your mobile phone number. Once your return is completed it will be authorised for quality control. In quality control one of our engineers will attempt to mimic any faults that may have occurred. If we are satisfied that the return is completed your return will be dispatched back to you that same day”.

I’ll let you know as soon as I hear anymore..

ianwri

Just received an email, it’s good news, no fault found and my laptop is being returned, I really hope I get it for the weekend, there’s only so much Thumb twiddling I can do! It’s seems it’s a mystery as to what happened..
This is the technicians report:
I opened it up and inspected the interior, I could not find any evidence of any faults or damage to the motherboard, so I closed it back up. I then powered it on and loaded into Windows as normal.
I gave the exterior and all of the IO ports a check over to make sure everything was working correctly, once I was satisfied that this was the case I loaded a series of stress tests onto the system and left them running overnight.
I checked your system again this morning and it had passed the tests without issue. It was then cross-checked by a second technician to confirm my results.
I am satisfied that your system is running normally and it can be returned to you.

barlew

Godlike
Just received an email, it’s good news, no fault found and my laptop is being returned, I really hope I get it for the weekend, there’s only so much Thumb twiddling I can do! It’s seems it’s a mystery as to what happened..
This is the technicians report:
I opened it up and inspected the interior, I could not find any evidence of any faults or damage to the motherboard, so I closed it back up. I then powered it on and loaded into Windows as normal.
I gave the exterior and all of the IO ports a check over to make sure everything was working correctly, once I was satisfied that this was the case I loaded a series of stress tests onto the system and left them running overnight.
I checked your system again this morning and it had passed the tests without issue. It was then cross-checked by a second technician to confirm my results.
I am satisfied that your system is running normally and it can be returned to you.

That's great news mate its better to be safe than sorry.