Recoil II RTX - Firecuda Seagate FireCuda 1TB 2.5″ SSHD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That’s about right on those drives... terrible drives imho, never worth it over a 7200rpm standard drive.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
That’s about right on those drives... terrible drives imho, never worth it over a 7200rpm standard drive.

Have to agree. I am yet to see anyone reporting that they get even close to the advertised transfer speeds.

The problem is the hybrid cache part is relatively speaking tiny. If you happen to hit on data that is in there, great, but it seems very long odds that you can do it with any kind of regular occurrence.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Have to agree. I am yet to see anyone reporting that they get even close to the advertised transfer speeds.

The problem is the hybrid cache part is relatively speaking tiny. If you happen to hit on data that is in there, great, but it seems very long odds that you can do it with any kind of regular occurrence.

And a cache-miss delivers worse performance than having no cache at all! (Because you waste the extra time looking in the cache).

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
And a cache-miss delivers worse performance than having no cache at all! (Because you waste the extra time looking in the cache).

I wonder, too, if it moves the data to the cache first? I know we'll never likely know, and it's just idle curiosity.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I wonder, too, if it moves the data to the cache first? I know we'll never likely know, and it's just idle curiosity.

The mainframe cached storage drives that I worked with several decades ago did, on the basis that if you've just read it you'll do so again. Who knows now though. Cache pollution was (and still is) a big issue....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had one of these drives when they were first released and aside from not reaching anywhere near stated speeds, performance degrades massively over time. You get maybe 3 months of optimum (poor) performance, and then it just goes down and down, and it doesn't appear to be related to fragmentation either, tried a million defrags, the only solution was a complete reinstall.

They're just really poor drives.

Eyek

I had one of these drives when they were first released and aside from not reaching anywhere near stated speeds, performance degrades massively over time. You get maybe 3 months of optimum (poor) performance, and then it just goes down and down, and it doesn't appear to be related to fragmentation either, tried a million defrags, the only solution was a complete reinstall.

They're just really poor drives.

Wow incredible.... Well that was a terrible choice I made then when I went ahead with having this put in to my laptop at PCS.

Thankfully I have a Samsung 970 which is more than fast enough. Looks like I will not doubt be buying another one of those in the near future.

Really appreciate the feedback guys! Thank you all.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wow incredible.... Well that was a terrible choice I made then when I went ahead with having this put in to my laptop at PCS.

Thankfully I have a Samsung 970 which is more than fast enough. Looks like I will not doubt be buying another one of those in the near future.

Really appreciate the feedback guys! Thank you all.

If you just use it as a storage drive, then they're fine. But for OS drives or anything accessed frequently, then I'd suggest swapping it out if it bothers you.

Eyek

If you just use it as a storage drive, then they're fine. But for OS drives or anything accessed frequently, then I'd suggest swapping it out if it bothers you.

Just ordered myself a 1TB Samsung 970 NVMe. Think that will do the trick.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just ordered myself a 1TB Samsung 970 NVMe. Think that will do the trick.

Umm...that's a bit of overkill IMO. The Firecuda will be perfectly fine as a user data drive (as has been mentioned) so a much smaller M.2 NVMe SSD for Windows and programs is all you need, something around 256GB or 500GB would be ample.