Recoil III RTX 2060 Power limit throttle / poor performance

Eyek

Hello everyone,

So I am curious if there is someone on here who is able to help me.

I monitor my RTX 2060 quite closely performance wise and I have noticed that all in all it power limit throttles extremely quickly. As soon as it approaches 80W it will PLT.

Plenty of thermal room, temps around 69-70.

Undervolting the GPU has allowed for better performance but still not particularly amazing. I get 15,500 graphic score in Firestrike. Relatively poor when compared to many other laptops that are getting 15-16k stock, without any tweaking.

Was curious if anyone else can relate or has ideas.

Cheers!

Eyek

Is this a PCS build? Can you post the full spec from the order page please?

Chassis & DisplayRecoil Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD
1st M.2 SSD Drive250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 1500MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf European Power Cable
BatteryRecoil II Series 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteCOOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would suggest you phone PCS (don't email, phone) and talk this over with them. I might be by design since laptops are notoriously difficult to cool properly. PCS can advise whether this is expected behaviour and if it's not then they can help your find out why.

Eyek

I would suggest you phone PCS (don't email, phone) and talk this over with them. I might be by design since laptops are notoriously difficult to cool properly. PCS can advise whether this is expected behaviour and if it's not then they can help your find out why.

Ok many thanks for your time. Cheers!

Eyek

Do let us know what they say, it may help others. [emoji846]

Well due to the form factor of the laptop, the GPU is locked at 80w to stop from overheating.

It is a pity because there is still plenty of thermal room. Having it locked at 80w stops the card from achieving a very simple 16k score in Firestrike. If it were at 90w vBIOS that was running on the card it would quite easily hit that range.

Anyway, you live and you learn.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My guess is it's more a limitation of the power through the PSU/motherboard than anything else.

80W on the GPU plus a 70W peak on the CPU doesn't leave a lot of headroom. If it was a 220w PSU it would allow for more.

I think every laptop nowadays is power limited in the BIOS. My Octane III is as well, tried to get Prima BIOS to have a play but never got my hands on it. It's a warranty killer though so not a good idea if you are still within.